Hello from Italy! Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Jackson

Lurker
Aug 31, 2021
Lombardy, Italy
Hello everyone! I've finally bit the bulled and registered at this marvelous forum of yours, in hope to found even more info about pipe smoking and various bits and bobs. I'm a young italian man, around 21 y.o., that started his obsession with pipes thanks to his late grandpa's basket no-name billiard (Piccadilly, I think it's called. Never heard of that) that got abused over the years, first when I was around 5 years old, chewing on the stem while toying around with it and leaving such chatter marks that, if I'd post a picture I'd have to mark it as NSFW, and eventually biting through the lip. Years ago, when my grandpa passed away (he was never a pipe smoker, tried it years before and never liked it. The pipe was a gift from a pipe maker friend of his) I got the pipe, got it squeaky clean and stored it. But as the years passed I found myself attracted to it and eventually got it out of its place to dry puff on it, adoring the wooden, complex smell of the tobacco that was smoked in there; seriously, I find it addicting.

Now, my father is an ex cig smoker and strongly condones cigarettes, he does not want me hooked on them like him and so on. I always hated cigarettes, matter of fact, and I have no reason to poison me breathing one in my lungs.

I'm still in the process of starting to smoke a pipe, I'm slowly and sneakily getting all the supplies I need and then I'll have to find a reason to tell my parents. I think it may end well, as I tried to question my father (main problem, we shall say, to my pipe smoking adventure) about cigars and pipes and he seemed pretty indifferent about it, as he deems them "safe". This will take a year at most, I have to finish the first years of Uni first to get more independent.

I have a passion for DIY and tinkering around, and I've put together a sort of pocket pipe kit to be brought with me when going out with me mates (my friend's a cigar smoker, and I've smoked a few Toscano's with him a few months ago, I find them too potent) and anything related to the self-made side of pipe smoking is of interested to me.

I adore the smell of the rare pipe I see when going around the city and sometimes (I know, it seems ridiculous) I try and follow them to breath in some of that aromatic goodness they billow around while walking.
I'm an old fashioned man, 1950s suit-and-hat style, safety razors and fountain pens, vintage cars and fountain pens and everything. The pipe suits me, and eventually I'll master this wondrous hobby.

Thank you everyone again, and greetings!

PS: I talk wayyy to much, as you probably guessed....Sorry...

Really? Do I sound too archaic or something? I do tend to mix 1950s slang with victorian terms, sometimes. Also, I talk too much
Just the "around 21." Either you are or aren't 21. Us older folks would say, I'm around 60, or I'm 60ish, because, either, we aren't sure or we aren't sure of our exact age, ha ha. When it comes to my age, I have to stop and do the math, ha ha.

• Haha
Reactions: chopper

Will Jackson

Lurker
Aug 31, 2021
Lombardy, Italy
Just the "around 21." Either you are or aren't 21. Us older folks would say, I'm around 60, or I'm 60ish, because, either, we aren't sure or we aren't sure of our exact age, ha ha. When it comes to my age, I have to stop and do the math, ha ha.
yeah, I worded that in a bit confusing way. I should've said something like: "almost 21". Basically, I'm 20 and a little more than a half, so I rounded that up to 21 and put the "around" to signifiy the somewhat uncertain element of my reasoning. Basically, for all intents and purposes I'm 20, that's more than enough to make me feel old ah ah

Status
Not open for further replies.