Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hey folks! I can always tell a hobby has hit some kind of critical mass when I feel moved to chat about it online. More and more Internet searches led to the Pipes Magazine forums, so here I am!

Anyways, I started smoking a pipe during my freshman year of college, in 1999. Lots of guys on my dorm floor smoked, but cigarettes weren't to my liking. Cigars were okay, but pipes seemed to fit my personality the best. I bought a Dr Grabow Omega, a cob, and some Prince Albert, and brought that out when the other guys went out to smoke. puffy

At the time, there were a few good cigar shops around with decent pipe tobacco offerings, and I remember buying some "Peaches and Cream" or "Dark Cherry" blends, thinking I had just upgraded from that Prince Albert... a few years later, after graduating from college, I found the pipes.org forum (is that still around?) and participated in a box pass or two (do people still do those?) and it opened my eyes to better aromatics and English blends. The latter didn't grab me at first, but it was intriguing enough to keep trying, and now Englishes are my favorite.

Years later, I married a wonderful woman who thought my pipe smoking was "gentlemanly", so I have enthusiastic support for the hobby -- as long as I do my smoking outside! Lately, I've been smoking more frequently, learning what's new in online discussions about pipe-smoking, and accumulating more tobacco. Life is good.

- Scott

<- Avatar is of that first Dr Grabow, along with a tin of Nightcap, my current fav.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Howdy & welcome from Korea.
Never was able to get into the Night Cap. As the name and description on the can states, "A rich flavoured blend smoking mixture for the evening with its period of relaxation and leisure"
After smoking a bowl in the evening, I could never get to sleep.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. It was distinctive of you to go to pipe smoking among the cigarette and cigar smokers, in the 90's, for sure. Lots of good expertise, pipe and tobacco history, and news on the subject here. I nearly always learn something.

Reactions: ThermionicScott