PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abuzer

Lurker
Dec 29, 2019
Hello fellow pipe smokers,

I come from Hamburg, Germany, and have been registered at this forum for quite some time - but mostly have been a silent reader.
I have been a heavy cigarette smoker for most of my life and quit about two years ago. Then I started vaping - mostly selfmade naturally extracted tobacco - and as I felt no fear to going back to cigarettes started pipe smoking, as I just enjoy tobacco way too much to live without it. I am now pipe smoking for about a year and thankfully recognized what true pleasure is.
My pipe collection has grown to about pipes and I have way too much tobacco in my house.

please forgive any spelling mistakes or unfortunate expressions - as I am not a native speaker, these might well happen.

best wishes and regards,
Abuzer

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Welcome! And a big +1 for Hamburg.

A leisurely stroll around the Alster (except for the forbiddingly fortified bit around the US consulate) is one of my favorite ways to spend an afternoon. And at least once or twice a year, until comparatively recently, I was particularly fond of staying at the Vier Jahreszeiten--in one of the maids' rooms (which is what I called their more modestly priced accomodation).

When I first visited, and the Reeperbahn was a bit less G-rated and gentrified and an early morning market (in addition to all else) I was especially fond of the lady who sold live eels. Though my favorite way of passing the hours of limbo when Saturday night became Sunday morning was to find a corner table in the shadows of the Haifisch Bar where I could patiently nurse a beer and a schnapps and watch the action while being serenaded by a old blind man in a sailors hat playing a bright red accordion.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
...while being serenaded by a old blind man in a sailors hat playing a bright red accordion.

I saw that movie. It was Lamorisse’s unsuccessful sequel to Le ballon rouge. Criterion is streaming it now.

While I occasionally splurged for the Atlantic Kempinski or Vier Jahreszeiten I generally stopped at either the Gastwerk (a relatively boring neighborhood but a very short walk to the office; a strong inducement when you’re jet lagged), or Le Meridien at An der Alster 52. The latter had the advantage of being less expensive if more impersonal than the Kempinski, and was also a shorter stagger away from the many decent restaurants on Lange Reihe (I was especially fond of Cox, Neumann’s, Cafe di Roma, and a few others). It also offered easy access to the smoking room on the main floor of the Atlantic, and if I ran short of tobacco M Niemeyer was conveniently very nearby.

Last edited:

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Well met and welcome! I've only been through Leipzig-Halle airport several times, but never had the joy of experiencing any other part of the country, much less up north there in Hamburg.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Welcome from England. Hamburg is a nice city to visit.I go to St Pauli home games whenever my friend who is a season ticket holder can get me a ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.