PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
the Bavarian tobacco legislation is the result of a referendum, on July 4th (so this date has a different meaning for us), 2010. I still remember it like yesterday, I was living in downtown Munich at that time, in an area with at least 5 small pubs in walking distance. By no means fancy bars, but quite low dives. And in my area there were about 65% who voted for the total ban, with the result that 4 of the 5 pubs were gone after a while.

I remember that too. For about twenty years every 90 days I alternated between flying to Munich and Hamburg from NY. I remember being in Hamburg shortly after the law took effect, and people were still pretty loose about it. I went out late to dinner one night with some colleagues and after we ate one of my friends asked the other diners (there were only a handful there) if anyone minded if he smoked. All said no, and promptly pulled out their own cigarettes too; the waiters joined in. A year or two later I was visiting Munich and a pipe friend was still able to wangle a private room on the second level of Pusser's bar near Maximillian Strasse. There we were able to eat, drink & smoke pipes to our hearts' content. And for a few years after that I could still enjoy a cigar in the smoking rooms off the lobby of the Vier Jahreszeiten in Munich or the Atlantic Kempinski in Hamburg. Those days are long gone.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
And for a few years after that I could still enjoy a cigar in the smoking rooms off the lobby of the Vier Jahreszeiten in Munich or the Atlantic Kempinski in Hamburg. Those days are long gone.

True. But nontheless it is obvious that you have a delicate taste for accomodation ;)

Fun fact, long before I was born my mom worked as a maid in the Vier Jahreszeiten!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What an incredible beat down! Unfortunately, the dolts at UEFA send out emails that have spoilers in the title, so I knew before watching that Bayern notched eight goals before watching.

Congrats!

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
What an incredible beat down! Unfortunately, the dolts at UEFA send out emails that have spoilers in the title, so I knew before watching that Bayern notched eight goals before watching.

Congrats!

Thanks! Reminded me a bit of the Germany-Brazil match in 2014 - funny enough, 3 players from that match (Neuer, Boateng, Müller) were also playing on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.