PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCHARLEYRIDER

Lurker
Jul 3, 2020
Four Oaks, North Carolina
Just recently came back to pipes after a 40 year absence. Have enjoyed cigars for years and found myself drawn back to the pipe. I have several pipes that I have recently purchased and now just trying to find my blend/blends. I would like to find several say 4-6 blends that I mainly smoke. I have seen youtube post of smokers cellars and just not planning on getting into having a warehouse of tobaccos. I am currently moving through the aromatic world trying to find my blend/blends. Smoking Lane 1Q and some Sutliff vanilla custard and strawberry delight. I have several other brands including some old school types such as Half & Half and Borkum Riff bourbon and cherry. I am trying to remember back when I smoked pipes and the taste that I remember. I thought that I remembered smoking cherry & vanilla blends and really being able to taste the cherry or vinilla but so far I have not found a blend that give you that cherry cough drop flavor or that vanilla flavor. Am I looking/asking too much? I do get a slight taste but I just thought that I remembered a much stronger flavor. Looking for some feed back that can help along my journey through the aroma world. If you have any tobacco suggestions please pass them along. Thank you and I look forward to reading your replies.

Reactions: indoeuro

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Ask any question, make any observation….

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) and which will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, etc., etc..

Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Forums is crawling with North Carolinians, including me. Good expertise here on many subjects -- pipes, tobacco, and otherwise.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Welcome from Louisiana!
I have seen youtube post of smokers cellars and just not planning on getting into having a warehouse of tobaccos. I am currently moving through the aromatic world trying to find my blend/blends.
No one plans on having a warehouse of tobaccos it just kind of happens ?
If you’re not getting the flavor you are looking for out of your blends, you might try slowing your cadence down some. Research the “breathe method.” In your pipe hiatus, you probably got used to cigars. I came from cigars too, and was used to lots of smoke and being able to smoke a little faster. Once I found the right cadence, the pipe tobacco really came alive.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Welcome from Sweden!

As others have said you need to smoke slow and cool to get the flavours. Thinking about it as sipping like you do a fine whiskey, not taking drags like you would a cigarette really helped me.

If you like ? I would recommend checking out the offerings from Samuel Gawith and from Gawith, Hogarth & Co, like Top Black Cherry.
Rich dark, natural cherry flavour, not overly sweet or artificial.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Welcome back!
Peterson's Connemara Black is a, for me, fairly strong cherry flavor that retains built on really solid tobaccos. Try Sutliff Vanilla Custard or D40 for a solid vanilla flavor. I like blending either with Sutliff Whiskey Cavendish as a dessert smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.