PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
img_20210828_233308_9-jpg.94856
Hello, returning pipe smoker here, I'm giving up the cigarettes for good. When I first smoked a pipe one of my staples was Balkan Sobranie, which I used to buy over the counter at my local newsagent. That'll give you some idea how ancient I am.

I never know what to say when introducing myself, so I've attached a photo of some of my recent pipe related activity. Being a returnee to the pipe I've had to rebuild my collection to accommodate a rotation. I've managed this now, and from now on I'll be focussing on quality more than quantity.

Anyway, in my quest to get enough pipes I've managed to pick up a few bargains on eBay. It can be done, if you're selective about what you bid for.

The little Lovat cost me £16 and was unsmoked. Judging by its windcap I'd guess it was made in the 50s, or early 60s. The stummel was faded and dry, so I fed it with mineral oil and waxed it with carnuba. The stem was oxydised, I heat treated it, polished it up with Cif. Then put on some mineral oil, waxed it, and put some beeswax on the tenon. It's stamped "Colonel Henry Fraser Lovat Pipe", on one side. The other side just says, "London Made".

Being as it was so dry, I was concerned that the chamber might get scorched when I smoked it. So, I wet the chamber and it was fine.

The Bacchus meerschaum I got for a tenner. It had a cake varying between one sixth and a quarter of an inch. I removed that with the 70s style Rodgers knife (that I got when I first smoked a pipe), and am now sanding the last of it off to take the chamber back to the meerschaum.

I've also included my lighting solution in the picture. These little clipper mini-tubes are the bee's knees for lighting pipes. It's a shame that the have to piezoelectric, but I bought a pack of four. So, they should last a while.

I think I've gone on long enough, so I'll spare you the details of which tobaccos I'm smoking.

IMG_20210828_233308_9.jpg

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Welcome from the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. Edinburgh is one of my favorite cities, its been far too long since I've been.

Reactions: Duck

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
Welcome to the forum!

I'm formerly an 'Edinbugger', and lived mostly in the Newington area. Although my family's from the Western Isles (hence the name), Edinburgh is my favourite city and we all miss it terribly. What part of the city do you live in, if you don't mind my asking?

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
Welcome to the forum!

I'm formerly an 'Edinbugger', and lived mostly in the Newington area. Although my family's from the Western Isles (hence the name), Edinburgh is my favourite city and we all miss it terribly. What part of the city do you live in, if you don't mind my asking?
I actually live in a little town just outside Edinburgh just now, but I've lived in many parts of the city and was born and bred there.

Reactions: Western Isles

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
Welcome from Las Vegas, Nevada

I own an early 1900’s Barling that has M. White over Edinburgh.
Ashdigger, I just picked up a Barling that's stamped James Purves over Edinburgh (Purves was a famous tobacconist, now gone). I'll try to take some high resolution photos in the next day or two, and I'd be interested in seeing what you, Jon, and Jesse think about the possible date of the piece (it has no other stamping besides 'Barling's Make'.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Duck

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Welcome from Michigan! We had a wonderful holiday in Scotland. Very friendly people we met along our travels there. Nice looking pipes, now onto your tobacco please.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central North Carolina U.S. I visited Edinburgh on a fast train from London and was heartened by the independent spirit of the people. My late wife asked a passerby what the smell was (from the whiskey distillers) and he said, "Why it's me, my dear." Energetic and independent-minded folks. Beautiful country.

Status
Not open for further replies.