PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Hey everyone,
New to the forums here! My name is Matt and I live right out side of D.C. I’ve been smoking a pipe since 2007 ish, and I enjoy a wide range of tobaccos and am going on the adventure of trying new blends and finding new favorites! I’m here to learn and interact with the pipe community!
All the best!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the forum from Florida. Let us know some of your favorite blends and then we can give you some suggestions you might like. You can also get loads of info if you go to http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Thank you both!
Cigrmaster, I’ve been sucked into the rabbit hole that is tobacco reviews, I think I’ve spent more than 24 hrs reading on that site, and I keep going back! Haha
Mostly what I’ve been doing is reading blend descriptions and reviews and going and trying what sounds good! It’s been working pretty well so far! I’ve been enjoying a bit of everything, from Orlik Golden Sliced, G.L. Pease’s Westminster, I just tried my first bowl of Sextant last night and I’m intrigued! I’m all ears to any suggestions you all have!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
right out side of D.C
Welcome! Glad to have you! Where'bouts right outside of the District -- Old Town, Warrenton/Fairfax/Arlington/etc./, or over in MD? Lots of good shops still in those environs, thankfully. John Crouch is my favorite, although from 40 years ago.
Bill

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If you like Orlik Golden Sliced get you some Escudo! AS well as Savinelli Doblone D'Oro and RO Firestorm if you haven't already!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
light, here is a list of readily available blends I think you would enjoy.
Capstan Blue Flake- straight Virginia

Escudo and Solani 633 for a Virginia/Perique

Mac Baren Old Dar Fired- Virginia/Kentucky

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro_ Virginia/Perique/Kentucky
I would also dedicate pipes to each genre so you don't have a competing ghost.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Bill, I’m over on the Maryland side, I go to Georgetown tobacco and W.Curtis Draper pretty often I hadn’t heard of John Crouch, though I’m going to go check them out now that you mentioned them!
Alaska and Cigrmaster Thanks for the recommendations! I’ve got an unopened tin of old dark fired that I’m looking forward to, the rest I’ve added to my list! I’ll be sure to let you guys know what I think!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Welcome from Colorado. I grew up, briefly in Silver Spring, then in Rockville until attending college & graduate school in Baltimore, before moving to CO.

Enjoy the Forums.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Thanks all! Cossackjack, where in Baltimore? Ive got family up there and my brother went to MICA. I also worked in Rockville for a time too!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
lightxmyfire

Johns Hopkins U: lived around the Homewood area; one summer lived 3 blocks west of Memorial Stadium. (4 yrs)

Johns Hopkins Sch of Hygiene & Public Health (before it was Bloomberg Sch of Public Health): lived north of Homewood & one block north of Patterson Park (2 yrs)

UMB: lived in Catonsville & Columbia, MD. (4 yrs)
There are Forum Members who grew up, lived, or currently live in or around Baltimore, & others who live elsewhere in MD.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Yeah, Georgetown T.'s good -- iconic shop, definitely. Crouch is down on King St. in Old Town, not far from the Torpedo Factory, & Il Porto restaurant if it's still there. If you like cigars their humidor is stellar if it's anything like it was back in the late 70s. I used to run their store out in Landover Mall (obviously back when it wasn't dead yet -laugh-).
B

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
The good folks at Georgetown Tobacco steered me right in the days of tobacco poverty to Light Flake and London Mixture in my start with pipes, as well as providing good cigars and an acquaintance with great Paul Garmirian. A nice time.

Status
Not open for further replies.