PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Welcome from Pennsylvania and New York!

Yes, the diversity here and the unity through common interest(s) is rather special, isn't it? Sometimes I see pics of the folks here and think, "He looks like a genuinely nice guy, I could see being friends." The joking around and camaraderie is comforting.

Reactions: js216

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina js216. Thank you for the shout-out. I grew up in Chicagoland in the forties through sixties, commuted to my first two years of undergrad school to University of Illinois Chicago (not U. Chi). Enjoyed some mighty cold winters.

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
Welcome! Lots of great folks here with patience, humor and good information. Part of my family use to grow corn for Cracker Jack (years back) down in Morris and many ended up around Chicago area-Evanston and Morton Grove- in their later years. Nice area for a city atmosphere. Curious, are you able to smoke in your apartment or must you do it out and away? I am guessing the latter?

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Welcome from Chicago's North Side.
The Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club meets up at various pipe lounges for meetings and social smokes, often at Arlington Pipe and Cigar Lounge, and sometimes at Iwan Ries. You may ask Amu Torres at Arlington PIpe and Cigar Lounge, who is our secretary, to add you to the mailing list, for future events.

js216

Lurker
Jan 23, 2022
Chicago, IL
Welcome! Lots of great folks here with patience, humor and good information. Part of my family use to grow corn for Cracker Jack (years back) down in Morris and many ended up around Chicago area-Evanston and Morton Grove- in their later years. Nice area for a city atmosphere. Curious, are you able to smoke in your apartment or must you do it out and away? I am guessing the latter?

In principle, the apartment doesn't allow it. However, it seems that some of the neighbors have no problems smoking the "other" plant so I feel free to do what I want to do, as long as there's no one else in the apartment who wouldn't appreciate the smell. At any rate, I don't do it very frequently and I look forward to the warmer weather when I can sit by Lake Michigan and stare in the distance.

Reactions: Gavrin and monty55
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Another CPCC member here. Welcome to the forum and to Chicagoland! In addition to what Dino said, I want to emphasize that you should check out Iwan Ries on Wabash. America's oldest tobacconist and a great pipe shop and fairly close for you. Arlington Pipe and Cigar is very good too, but much farther. Hope to see you at a CPCC meeting sometime.

Reactions: dino and js216

GawithPiper

(NOVAPipe)
Jan 24, 2022
USA
Hey everyone, I've moved to the Windy City about half a year ago, and have been interested in pipes for a couple months. Living in an apartment in South Loop, I'm (mostly) unable and (somewhat) unwilling to smoke more than about once a week, and less in winter. Thus the tin of Nightcap I had bought in November will last me a very long time. I use a bent MM Washington and also have a Peterson 106, but the latter is so pretty I'm afraid to use it!

I've been reading these forums passively for several months now, spending more time on here than I would be willing to admit. The odd thing about it is that I feel as if I knew some of the other members personally, their personality and how they'd react to certain things, without having once met them! For instance, I've come to expect nothing but the stark truth from @warren, a kindly presented and balanced opinion from @mso489, or an insightful story with a humorous punchline from @cosmicfolkore.

Perhaps what I appreciate most about this space is how well the prohibition of politics and religion works here, making civilized conversation possible between people of wildly different beliefs who may otherwise never be able to find common ground. Unlike other social media, the posts are not sorted in descending order by how anger provoking they are, making the forms truly relaxing reading.
Hello and welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.