PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We have a great diversity of people from all over the world here so I’m sure some people pronounce it differently according to their accents. The correct pronunciation is shi-caw-go. But many pronounce it Shi-caaah-go. I haven’t met many people who pronounce it with a hard CH sound though!
It's more "Sh-caw-go". Some refer to it as "Chi-town" and that's where you'd get the "Shi" sound.

Reactions: lawdawg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. I grew up in the near northwest suburb of Park Ridge, near Edison Park. PR used to have a fine pipe shop with a resident pipe carver, but it is long gone. I've spent most of my working life in central North Carolina.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Welcome from the northwest side of the city. We are fortunate to have a number of well stocked brick and mortar stores with friendly lounges in the area and a large and active club that meets at least monthly. The Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club.

I’ve visited Iwan Reis a few times and stopped by The Old Chicago smoke shop. Are there any other ones out there?
Up Down on Wells in Old Towne in the city has a large selection of pipes (most of which have been in those cases for some time) and if you get out in the burbs, Arlington Pipe and Cigar has _all_ the tobaccos and the best lounge in the area. It's a 30 minute train ride for me to either there or Ries, and I pick Arlington almost every time.

Reactions: Aomalley27

Fire Bender

Lurker
Sep 27, 2021
Chicago, IL
Up Down on Wells in Old Towne in the city has a large selection of pipes (most of which have been in those cases for some time) and if you get out in the burbs, Arlington Pipe and Cigar has _all_ the tobaccos and the best lounge in the area. It's a 30 minute train ride for me to either there or Ries, and I pick Arlington almost every time.
Oh nice. I’ve been to up down a lot for cigars. I guess I glanced over the pipe stuff last time since I wasn’t smoking then.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Hi everyone, I’m a noob at pipe smoking but have been smoking cigars for a while. Im looking forward to learning more from you all!
Well, you’ve several great shops for cigars (Up Down, Schwartz, that one on Hubbard... I think it’s called Hubbard too, and of course IRC), so that’s understandable you ventured the way of the sticks.
For pipes..... it’s hands down Iwan Ries. And the Levy’s are great people. Been a customer since 1990 (my college days at Loyola). They are the definition of a tobacconist, and have a plethora of affordable Estate pipes, I could dig through their estate drawers for days?

Reactions: Daydreamer
Status
Not open for further replies.