PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Bender

Lurker
Sep 27, 2021
Chicago, IL
Do you say "Chicago" with an "sh" sound or "ch"? Just curious. I had never heard someone say it with a hard "ch" sound until I first visited there.

View attachment 99871
We have a great diversity of people from all over the world here so I’m sure some people pronounce it differently according to their accents. The correct pronunciation is shi-caw-go. But many pronounce it Shi-caaah-go. I haven’t met many people who pronounce it with a hard CH sound though!

Fire Bender

Lurker
Sep 27, 2021
Chicago, IL
Welcome from the northwest side of the city. We are fortunate to have a number of well stocked brick and mortar stores with friendly lounges in the area and a large and active club that meets at least monthly. The Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club.

I’ve visited Iwan Reis a few times and stopped by The Old Chicago smoke shop. Are there any other ones out there?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Welcome! The first thing any of us can say to a new pipe smoker from Chicago is "be sure to visit Iwan Ries."

I started smoking a pipe years ago when I lived in Chicago, and the guys at Iwan Ries were part of the reason I kept with it. They pointed me in the right direction and helped me get past my initial mistake of a drug store pipe and a cherry aromatic blend.

We have a great diversity of people from all over the world here so I’m sure some people pronounce it differently according to their accents. The correct pronunciation is shi-caw-go. But many pronounce it Shi-caaah-go. I haven’t met many people who pronounce it with a hard CH sound though!

That's the way most of the natives of the area pronounce it. Make the "A" as nasally as possible, draw it out, and you'll sound like you were born and raised right there in the Windy City puffy

Interesting enough, I never had anyone say I had any kind of an accent until I moved to Chicago, though all those people who mentioned it to me sounded like Canadians, or perhaps Yoopers, to my ear. I always thought of myself as having the non-regional diction spoken in parts of the Midwest and by news anchors on TV.

Fire Bender

Lurker
Sep 27, 2021
Chicago, IL
Welcome! The first thing any of us can say to a new pipe smoker from Chicago is "be sure to visit Iwan Ries."

I started smoking a pipe years ago when I lived in Chicago, and the guys at Iwan Ries were part of the reason I kept with it. They pointed me in the right direction and helped me get past my initial mistake of a drug store pipe and a cherry aromatic blend.

That's the way most of the natives of the area pronounce it. Make the "A" as nasally as possible, draw it out, and you'll sound like you were born and raised right there in the Windy City puffy

Interesting enough, I never had anyone say I had any kind of an accent until I moved to Chicago, though all those people who mentioned it to me sounded like Canadians, or perhaps Yoopers, to my ear. I always thought of myself as having the non-regional diction spoken in parts of the Midwest and by news anchors on TV.
IR is fantastic. Worth the price (and taxes) every time. Most of my family lives in Texas still and every time they come up their accent is spotted right away. I’ve worked hard to get rid of my Texas accent early on in life. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and lawdawg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
IR is fantastic. Worth the price (and taxes) every time. Most of my family lives in Texas still and every time they come up their accent is spotted right away. I’ve worked hard to get rid of my Texas accent early on in life. ?

I love all manner of southern accent and wish there was not such a bias against them by non-southerners. That said, I understand why you would work to eliminate yours.

I live in an area where some people have the twangy Appalachian accent, while others speak the non-regional "newscaster" diction from the Midwest. That seems to be true for Chicago as well though. I had a roommate from the Chicago burbs in college, and he spoke just about how I do. He had no accent to my ear. However, I also met a lot of people from the area who call the "White Sox" the "White Sax." Weird how two people growing up in the same area can come out with completely different accents. Perhaps it's just an American thing, as we have all moved around a lot and so on.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.