PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Welcome from the Colorado high country. If pipe smoking helps you solve the world's problem, then have at it. We could use the help. Otherwise, just relax a little like most of us here.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Welcome, from Chicago's North Side.
Come to our club meetings and social smokes (Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club), soak up and join in the conversations, sample tobaccos, see all manner of pipes, and be welcomed as an old friend.
Dino

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
Some of my favorite childhood memories are accompanying my father to Irwin Ries on Wabash to buy pipe tobacco. We lived in Milwaukee and it was always a special trip. Wish I were still in the area, but now I find myself, in Connecticut. Welcome to the forum!!

I work in downtown Chicago. Iwan is a 15 minute walk from my office. That place is an institution.

Cheers

Reactions: jp267nh

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Keep it moderate. Don't run the smoke through your nasal passages (retrohale). If you want to be especially careful, use filters. I grew up in Chicagoland, the near-north suburb on the city line, Park Ridge. My home place is within walking distance of the Edison Park bus in the Chicago transit system, with transfers to the subway, the way a buddy and I would go to the city as high school kids. Did my first two years of college at Navy Pier when it was a satellite campus to Champaign-Urbana, the second year at the "new" campus on the West Side, with its famous Brutalist architecture, and that's really what it's called. Park Ridge used to have a pipe shop, for about twenty years, that eventually became a hangout for counter-culture kids, but that was after I left town.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
Keep it moderate. Don't run the smoke through your nasal passages (retrohale). If you want to be especially careful, use filters. I grew up in Chicagoland, the near-north suburb on the city line, Park Ridge. My home place is within walking distance of the Edison Park bus in the Chicago transit system, with transfers to the subway, the way a buddy and I would go to the city as high school kids. Did my first two years of college at Navy Pier when it was a satellite campus to Champaign-Urbana, the second year at the "new" campus on the West Side, with its famous Brutalist architecture, and that's really what it's called. Park Ridge used to have a pipe shop, for about twenty years, that eventually became a hangout for counter-culture kids, but that was after I left town.

your comments have been helpful, thank you. I think my plan right now is 120 bowls max per year. That is 10 per month, 2-3 per week... that is more than I can imagine smoking. And given I live in Illinois where there are 3-4 months of miserably cold weather, I am sure I won’t get many bowls in during that time span. That seems reasonable to me to be able to enjoy the hobby but minimize my exposure. I keep
A spreadsheet on every bowl I smoke, so will be able to track it.

I will always smoke with a filter, won’t inhale, and won’t drink alcohol when I smoke, and maintain my otherwise healthy lifestyle. And I agree with you about retrohaling. I know some people swear by it, but at least at this very early stage for me, it doesn’t really improve my experience. Perhaps I will do it just a couple times per bowl.

cheers
Drew

Last edited:

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Like many others, I have been lurking for a while. Long story long... 47 years old and never smoked tobacco in my life (save the drunken cigarette or celebratory cigar... but even that's been 15-20 years). I lead a clean lifestyle, health conscious, yada yada. The health risks are of concern to me. However, a medical practitioner whom I trust implicitly told me when asked about pipes, "that won't be what takes you down." So that gives me some comfort that this is not a totally ridiculous consideration.

But, I got it in my head that smoking a pipe could be a good way to relax and solve the world's problems. So, I have smoked a total of 4 bowls in my life, first one was 3-4 weeks ago. Started with a corn cob, but recently got a $25 Mr. Brog with 9mm filter. I think I like that better. I have only smoked Captain Black gold, and in all honesty was not thrilled with the flavor. I was expecting something much sweeter. But maybe my expectations on what pipe tobacco actually tastes like are unrealistic... it tasted like... tobacco.

So this is still a hobby that I have not fully committed to, but am definitely intrigued. I could see smoking maybe a few bowls per week, at most. I don't imagine my wife would be thrilled with this... but I will have that conversation if/when this becomes a lifestyle choice for me.

I have gotten a lot of useful information from this site, and since I am now a veteran, with 4 bowls under my belt, thought I would introduce myself.

Cheers
Drew

Good to have you Mr. Drew! A hearty welcome from Middle Tennessee.

I’m very glad you came here straight away. If I’d been able to quiz these guys from day one it would have saved me untold time and tongue agony.

Question away when/if you need or want. I’m always happy to help when and if I can, and I’m a newbie pipe smoker compared to these guys (started late 2007).

Reactions: Drew72
Status
Not open for further replies.