PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
Hello everyone.
I'm new to pipe smoking after having been a life long cigarette smoker.
I got my first pipe about four years ago. A Savinelli "Broomhilda" limited edition churchwarden. It didn't last long (about a year) before It got broken from misuse and mishandling and I just sort of walked away from it for a few years.

I started missing the good smells and better experiences from pipes over smoking the cigarettes a couple weeks ago and decided to buy a new pipe, some tobacco, and leave the cigarettes behind for good this time.

The new pipe is yet another Savinelli Churchwarden. It's a shape 921 Smooth that I acquired from Smokingpipes.com yesterday and should be delivered by Friday.

In the meantime, I picked up a MM cob from the local cigarette shop and 4oz of Sutliff Vanilla Custard from pipesandcigars.com.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Welcome from the next state over in Iowa!
Might I suggest since you are so used to cigs to get a pipe that is more portable?
I bet a chubby nosewarmer would fit that bill or a small Peterson system pipe.

have you found any tobaccos that you particularly like?

Reactions: diamondback

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. I grew up in Chicagoland, an suburb adjacent to the city's Edison Park. My mom's people were from the little town of Sandwich west of Chicago.

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
Welcome from the next state over in Iowa!
Might I suggest since you are so used to cigs to get a pipe that is more portable?
I bet a chubby nosewarmer would fit that bill or a small Peterson system pipe.

have you found any tobaccos that you particularly like?

I was thinking the same thing about portability. I'll have a look at the Peterson system pipes. I'm not familiar with the "nosewarmer" types :) they sound interesting though.

So far, I've taken a likening to this Sutliff Vanilla Custard. Much more pleasant to the senses than the Captain Black white label was experimenting with. I absolutely love the aroma and the fact that there's no bite or similar misgivings of the CB. I can see this one getting lots of replay time :)

I've tried 1-Q in the past and remember it being quite nice so I've got a few ounces of it on order as well.

I also picked up 2 tins of Petersons Irish Flake for a more stout nicotine content to help me part ways with the cigys. I must say, it certainly fits that roll very well.

Time seems to have mellowed me out a bit and I'm having a lot better experience this time with my pipes. My first attempts I was smoking in a very "cigarette" fashion which led to bowls so hot I couldn't touch them with a bare hand and a scorched mouth much like taking a big gulp of fresh hot coffee straight from the pot.

Better tobaccos and a more patient approach have made the transition much more enjoyable. I can actually taste the pipe and I've not heated up a the MM enough to feel heat of any kind. Sure wish I had been this patient with the broomhilda, seems they aren't available anymore. The 921 is very similar though and I have nothing but good expectations for it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Might I also suggest Orlik Golden Sliced it's a non-cased flake that might satisfy you a bit.
Their Dark Strong Kentucky flake is great too.
For stronger offerings nicotine wise check out Gawith and Hoggarth... they have nicotine levels for everyone somewhere in their lineup.

a nosewarmer is just a term for a short pipe!

Peterson systems can be smoked much more mindlessly without chance of bite or drinking the juice.
Also can be carried in a pocket without damage because of the army mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.