Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

forflakessake

Lurker
Jun 26, 2020
ON, Canada
Long time lurker, short time poster.

I first attempted pipe smoking about 6 years ago. Ending up putting it down for a while before getting back in recently. Now I’ve got the cellar mildly stocked, and a short pipe rotation in the mail.

In my own discovery so far, I have determined preferences to Balkan and English mixes, or Navy flakes (and specifically Dunhill Navy Flake was my favourite). Now I’ve return to discover both Mclelland and Dunhill spec are all but cellared sparsely. What is a boy to do? (Chasing the Best Flake)

forflakessake

Lurker
Jun 26, 2020
ON, Canada
So far I’ve picked up
SG Balkan, Rattrays Marlin, and MacBaren dark twist, and an economy straight Virginia.

the dark twist might not be a flake but so far is the closest to the flavour I’m looking for. I have a feeling ODF might be my speed.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Casual
Mar 1, 2014
Welcome from Alberta (and I'm sorry to hear another Canadian is just getting in the door now, better late than never I suppose, presumably in a few years "Never" will be the only option).

Reactions: forflakessake

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
"Never, don't look at it, don't touch it, oh look a pretty bird! " is certainly the Federal approach up here, yeah. Stock up on whatever you find and whatever you can afford, because it's never going to be easier than it is today.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yum! English and Balkans....

Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Ask any question, make any observation….
You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) and which will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, etc., etc..

Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Welcome from NB. And to echo what's been said before, stock up while you can. If it turns out you don't like something or its not to your taste, it makes good trading material down the road. If you like Balkans and more specifically English's, you may want to look at Samuel Gawith's tobaccos. They are hard to find but at Smokingpipes.com they have a lovely function to notify you by email when something is in stock. Be prepared to jump quick when that email comes along.
Happy to have you aboard.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Balkan Supreme satisfies many of us, and is available in buik.

As to a number of "Dunhill" blends, they are now under the Peterson flag. Still made by STG, formula the same for many years now. (But nothing like the original, of course).

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Sask_welcome.jpg

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
Welcome from the Gulf Coast of Florida! I wasn’t aware until recently how stringent thing were in the Great a White North, but remember, there’s strength in numbers so welcome to the brethren! - Franco

Status
Not open for further replies.