PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor9321

Lurker
Mar 12, 2020
I am a relatively new pipe smoker,...been seriously smoking for almost 4 yrs. And just. Can't get over how very little most doctors know about the can dog's and can NOTS WHILE SMOKING PIPE TOBACCOS. I've been told I can never have ice cream again which makes sense....but they also stressed to me no root beer or marshmallows, and no Swiss miss drinks, no bars, no dr.pepper....no wild and flavored mixed drinks (alc) and no mtn. Dew drinks no popcorn with caramel topping, no toffee...and the list went on and on until I was told to bring a list and pens with me to the grocery store so I can write down all of the no-no's for our consumption 1000's of brand named products that just put the bag of die into our nice tasty treats....oh yeah! And I MUST READ any and all bbq sauces before purchasing to make dead sure they aren't using tobasco in their products. Believe me I felt so dead already and stupid for ever taking that first.puff, and have been living on regular bland staple trustables for the last 4-years, and now i be come across this blog site for us, and I'm very surprised to read the things people are consuming while they smoke! I would really appreciate the truth report on how many things are okay, and NOT OKAY from anyone out there willing to take the time to help one us step up out of the gutters of all this info pollution...my email is Johndavidbarnes36@gmail.com
Your help is greatly appreciated..
John D. Barnes

Reactions: maulragoth

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am lost or missed something. These food and beverage prohibitions relate to pipe smoking? Exactly how? It sounds like advice for diabetes, either treating or avoiding it. Most docs recommend against smoking or tobacco of any kind, or the less the better. But I can't quite link this long list of food prohibitions (Tabasco?) with pipe smoking otherwise. Is weight loss a factor? Give me a clue.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yeah, I'm also confused. I've always been told no alcohol while smoking and no very hot drinks (due to the irritation of the soft tissues) but beyond that the docs haven't said much other than of course the less the better. Either way, welcome to the forum from Knik River, Alaska!

242a47f8-bf3b-4082-a05f-3fb6c8723e6a.jpg

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
Welcome and glad you are here. Sorry for the extra tons of legislated warning labels and protections you have to waffle through on every package, which you also get to pay extra for from the agencies producing the drivel.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Ask any question, make any observation….

Are you diabetic? There's very little sugar added to most blends. I'd avoid aromatics and heavily topped tobaccos. What do you smoke now?

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

Reactions: anotherbob

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome and glad you are here. Sorry for the extra tons of legislated warning labels and protections you have to waffle through on every package, which you also get to pay extra for from the agencies producing the drivel.
I'm grateful ingredients are listed. No one forces you to read or understand them.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Sounds like the things doctors tell you that you shouldn't do anyways. My bet is it's more if you do one thing you shouldn't (tobacco) then you really shouldn't do anything else that might not be healthy. Most doctors don't know much about tobacco outside of cigs, funny fact a lot of doctors smoke cigarettes compared to most other jobs. Though neat fact doctors can charge more to insurance if they lecture you on tobacco, and they already feel it's something they should be lecturing you on anyways. Kind of like how if you got paid ten bucks per person you told not to stick sharp objects in their eyes (you know they shouldn't and you'll get ten bucks). It's kind of horrid how much weight insurance companies really have.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
During a Zombie Apocalypse, I recommend you smoke as much as you like and drink some too (while smoking a pipe preferably). I am a doctor... well not a medical doctor, but who cares?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Welcome from Western Canada! I think @anotherbob is on the right track, don’t add additional soft tissue irritants to pipe smoking. I tend to avoid those things I know personally irritate my mouth for a period of time immediately after smoking. Additionally, I have for a long time avoided foods that are really harsh on the mouth, have’t eaten Cap’n Crunch in years. Keeping in mind I can’t abide letting cereal get soggy.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.