PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Padre

Lurker
Mar 6, 2023
I’ve been smoking for about a year. I’m building my collection of pipes, mainly factory made. I’m about to start branching out into more custom made, one of a kind pipes. I do enjoy the aromatic tobacco’s the most but that may change with experience. I do enjoy the good conversation and relaxing hours I spend at my local pipe and cigar smoking lounge at Chesapeake Pipe and Cigar, it’s quickly becoming my home away from home when I need a break from my wife.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey from central North Carolina and welcome aboard. My only connection to Annapolis is the captain of my Navy ship on which I was a lowly enlisted radioman. The captain was a Lt. Cmdr. named Robert Freehill, an Annapolis grad and Navy fighter pilot who was getting his ticket punched as a line officer (commanding a ship) toward attaining high rank. Annapolis grads are called "ring knockers" because they tap their Annapolis class rings on the bar to draw attention to their status at the officer's club and such. I've tried to follow up to see if he made the admiralty in later years. I've read his bio in the Annapolis class yearbook, but I haven't found a thing. He'd already completed Navy War College and gotten a graduate degree in something (oceanography?). Anyway, he and the rest of us crew got us across the Pacific Ocean and through a typhoon, so he's okay with me. I hope he's still around and did okay.