PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suilven

Lurker
Mar 11, 2021
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Welcome from BC, Canada. Talgat, what pipes and tobaccos are available to you in Kazakhstan? Do you have tobacco shops near your home? Are there pipe makers nearby who you can purchase from in-person or do you have to order online? Is pipe smoking popular in your country? You must have some interesting pipe smoking stories to tell. Please do share some of your experience with us.

Reactions: Hfinn

Zepfan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2021
Wilmington, N.C.
Hi there! Let me introduce myself, my name is Talgat and I'm pipe enthusiast from Kazakhstan. I have been with the pipe smokers community for a year now and I think I have found a great pastime. I came here to learn more about the world of pipes and tobacco. Looking forward to discover this forum. Thanks for membership approving!
Welcome Talgat!

H

Hfinn

Welcome from BC, Canada. Talgat, what pipes and tobaccos are available to you in Kazakhstan? Do you have tobacco shops near your home? Are there pipe makers nearby who you can purchase from in-person or do you have to order online? Is pipe smoking popular in your country? You must have some interesting pipe smoking stories to tell. Please do share some of your experience with us.

Well, in our country it is not very popular to smoke pipes, I think there are very few of us. I can tell it by the number of pipes in the local store, they sell slowly, and bulk purchases are not done very often. We don't have our own pipe makers, the nearest place to KZ where you can find pipe makers is Russia.
We have several major suppliers. The import of tobacco is prohibited by law for individuals, we have to choose from what is in the store. There are 5-6 shops in Almaty. The assortment of tobacco is not very large, there is MacBaren, Dan Tobacco DTM, Davidoff, Scandinavian Tobacco Group, Larsen. I think this confirms that the pipe smoker market in our country is very narrow.
From the pipes we have Peterson, it seems that the showcase has preserved models that are no longer in production. There are also Savinelli, Chacom, Stanwell, Vauen, Brebbia, DB Design, Big Ben, Mastro de Paja, Mauro Armelini, Porche Design, Meerschaum. A lot of beautiful pipes, but I personally prefer to buy pipes online.

H

Hfinn

20200802_164602.jpg

20200802_164613.jpg

20200802_164624.jpg

Reactions: Trainpipeman
H

Hfinn

20200704_120041.jpg

20200704_120025.jpg

H

Hfinn

20200704_120524.jpg

20200704_120505.jpg

Suilven

Lurker
Mar 11, 2021
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Thanks for replying Talgat. Looks like an interesting selection of pipes in the shop. I see a couple I'd be interested in. i'm happy to hear you've found online sources too. When I read you have 5-6 shops in your city, I thought that seemed a good number, but then I looked up Almaty's population and I see it's 1.8 million, so I suppose 5-6 shops is not very many. Best wishes to you.

H

Hfinn

Thanks for replying Talgat. Looks like an interesting selection of pipes in the shop. I see a couple I'd be interested in. i'm happy to hear you've found online sources too. When I read you have 5-6 shops in your city, I thought that seemed a good number, but then I looked up Almaty's population and I see it's 1.8 million, so I suppose 5-6 shops is not very many. Best wishes to you.
Last time I watched Wikipedia it was 1.5 million. How quickly everything is growing. Our city is an example of how wrong it is to grow.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Welcome from Athens. Having 5-6 pipe shops is a big deal in my opinion, there are exactly 0 pipe shops in Athens, likely in the whole of Greece. You get pipes and pipe tobacco in cigar shops, but they get a corner at most, and our tobacco selection is terrible.

H

Hfinn

Welcome from Athens. Having 5-6 pipe shops is a big deal in my opinion, there are exactly 0 pipe shops in Athens, likely in the whole of Greece. You get pipes and pipe tobacco in cigar shops, but they get a corner at most, and our tobacco selection is terrible.
Surprisingly, I thought you had a lot of this stuff there in Europe. You have a great inexpensive pipe manufacturer in Greece, Achaiki Amadeus PTM. Chic pipes from Mediterranean briar for everyday use, I have as many as 5 of them )

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Surprisingly, I thought you had a lot of this stuff there in Europe. You have a great inexpensive pipe manufacturer in Greece, Achaiki Amadeus PTM. Chic pipes from Mediterranean briar for everyday use, I have as many as 5 of them )
There are a few nice carvers in Greece, a couple of which I'm very fond of (Kyriazanos is one of them), Amadeus, as far as my understanding is, is primarily in the briar supply business nowadays, and there's also Pipex (the GR equivalent of Dr Grabow). I feel the non-codger pipe smokers all order from abroad like I do.

H

Hfinn

Too much traffic? More air pollution? Crime? Is that what you're referring to?
Including what you have listed. Air pollution deserves special attention. But the main disadvantage is that people leave their native lands, moving to big cities. I believe that the development of other parts of the country should also be present, and in this sense, a human is the main resource.

Smog over Almaty. Most likely this is not photoshop.

смог.jpg

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Welcome on board and greetings from Vaughan, ON, Canada!

This is a very nice selection of pipes and tobacco on the photos that you posted. No every tobacconist in Toronto, ON features such a diverse selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.