PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NookersTheCat

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
Hello and greetings from this NEPA Polack, gents!

Will's the name! I've been a puffer since pretty much 18 on and off, though very much on recently, in my late 20's... as a child I was programmed to hate tobacco as most children in are in our modern world. However, I was always enchanted by the smell of Grampa's Middleton Cherry, relaxing in his basement armchair on Saturday visits and sleepovers.

Into my later teen years I started to dabble in various forms of tobacco with my peers, but always kept coming back to the lovely aromatic, relaxing, contemplative sessions of contentment with my pipes. Over the last year I've been able to pretty much kick out the cigs and focus primarily on my pipe with an occasional cigar at social events (I tend to prefer cigars in the summertime and pipes in the cooler seasons especially... is that just me?)

Haha, anyway, just wanted to introduce myself to you fine fellow brothers of the leaf and state how happy I am to finally make the leap from longtime lurker/harvester of information to fellow forum comrade in codger-ship!

P.S. Included a pic of my humble nook... Na Zdrowie!!

20200912_151753.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Hello, Will and welcome from Austin, Texas.

I have a few of those Brigadier Black tins hiding in my cellar somewhere, but have not tried them yet. How do you like them?

1599946112400.png

NookersTheCat

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
Welcome from Sweden!

Beautiful calabash, what brand is it?

Thank you!! I believe it is a Pioneer but not positive. I purchased it used but unsmoked on ebay quite a few years ago. I believe the listing said Pioneer brand as well and I have seen other Pioneers online and they look the very same; with a briar shank piece with simply "Austria" carved on it. And it is a true gourd not made from wood like many today.

NookersTheCat

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
Hello, Will and welcome from Austin, Texas.

I have a few of those Brigadier Black tins hiding in my cellar somewhere, but have not tried them yet. How do you like them?

View attachment 42633

How's it going? Yeah I've only tried the "Sherman's March" so far as rum and maple are two of my more favorite flavorings. I would describe it as good and honest for what it is. As P&C puts it, they wanted to make higher quality leaf versions of OTC blends and I think that's a pretty apt description.

It can get that bit of ammonia flavoring if you push it too hard but that can be said of many aromatics I suppose. But it's a good one to throw in a cob when you just want something quick and simple. Definitely not bad for the price though!

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Hello Will, well met! I spy that churchwarden there, and just happen to be reading The Return of the King right now, with a bowl of St Bruno flake and a few inches of Red Breast (cask strength) in the glass. A fine way to spend a Saturday evening.
Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 11.20.40 AM.png

NookersTheCat

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
Hello Will, well met! I spy that churchwarden there, and just happen to be reading The Return of the King right now, with a bowl of St Bruno flake and a few inches of Red Breast (cask strength) in the glass. A fine way to spend a Saturday evening.

Well met indeed! Of all the hardware in my repertoire, churchwardens are my undisputed favorites, not least of all being their connection to fantasy. Just have to focus on acquiring a few more haha. Nothing better than a cool dreary weekend with a good book, a fine dram, and a contenting bowl... I like your style!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Jacob74

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Welcome to the forum from southwest Michigan. I think alot of pipers have good memories of smelling pipe tobaccos when we were younger. Sense of smell can bring up very vivid memories from out of the blue. Thats why my wife loves the smell of mac baren vanilla cream tobacco . Her uncle use to puff vanilla tobaccos in his work shop when she was a kid.

Reactions: NookersTheCat
Status
Not open for further replies.