PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
Awesome to have you joining! I bought a pipe, smoked whatever smelled good in the container of the tobacconist shop a few times, bought a small churchwarden, and then faded into boxes of cigars for about 15 or so years myself, and then when coming back to pipes a couple years ago... WOW, wish I had never put down my pipe. Though I still have can enjoy a cigar, I would much rather hit my cellar and enjoy a pipe and I don't see this changing. Forums like this have allowed me to grow much in little time. Much great advice given above already.

If I was just coming back for my first pipe, what I gained the most from was cobs, even though I was using briars at the time. Getting a cob (and then many more) was very helpful along with all the info on the internet. Sample, sample, sample, sample. I read in one place, smoke some of each type of tobacco straight, then you can really start to differentiate what you like. Thus, I'd get a cob pipe or two with a wooden plug in the bottom to figure out what shapes I like most. Get a Czech tool (I found I like and use them most for tamping/cleanup) and a fat bag of pipe clearners. Then buy a sample of each tobacco again (Oriental, Virginia, Latakia, Burly, Cigar Leaf, etc... the more the better right =) Smoke a bowl or two of those all and then you really have some education. Also I would want to hit a little Lane 1-Q, GL Pease Gaslight, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Flakes (all 3) and PS Toasted Burly, 5-brothers Burley, and then when getting back around to an aromatic test again Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend (awesome aro). Those all gave me a great start, and then the obsession begins! Whole lifetime of pipes and tobaccos to come!

Helpful warning too: go very slow. Tongue bit! Thing you will get probably anyhow after this warning. Basically do not hit the pipe hard like you do cigars for a draw. Sip the flavor, or you get a nice burn like you would from gulping piping hot coffee. Ya, I still get bit some loving a huge plume too often, but you learn to control with time. Virginia's.... don't be afraid to let the bowl go out and relight. Near end of bowl... relighting often gets it pretty hot if you are trying to smoke it all and leave no dottle with many tobaccos.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020
Awesome to have you joining! I bought a pipe, smoked whatever smelled good in the container of the tobacconist shop a few times, bought a small churchwarden, and then faded into boxes of cigars for about 15 or so years myself, and then when coming back to pipes a couple years ago... WOW, wish I had never put down my pipe. Though I still have can enjoy a cigar, I would much rather hit my cellar and enjoy a pipe and I don't see this changing. Forums like this have allowed me to grow much in little time. Much great advice given above already.

If I was just coming back for my first pipe, what I gained the most from was cobs, even though I was using briars at the time. Getting a cob (and then many more) was very helpful along with all the info on the internet. Sample, sample, sample, sample. I read in one place, smoke some of each type of tobacco straight, then you can really start to differentiate what you like. Thus, I'd get a cob pipe or two with a wooden plug in the bottom to figure out what shapes I like most. Get a Czech tool (I found I like and use them most for tamping/cleanup) and a fat bag of pipe clearners. Then buy a sample of each tobacco again (Oriental, Virginia, Latakia, Burly, Cigar Leaf, etc... the more the better right =) Smoke a bowl or two of those all and then you really have some education. Also I would want to hit a little Lane 1-Q, GL Pease Gaslight, Peter Stokkebye Luxury Flakes (all 3) and PS Toasted Burly, 5-brothers Burley, and then when getting back around to an aromatic test again Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend (awesome aro). Those all gave me a great start, and then the obsession begins! Whole lifetime of pipes and tobaccos to come!

Helpful warning too: go very slow. Tongue bit! Thing you will get probably anyhow after this warning. Basically do not hit the pipe hard like you do cigars for a draw. Sip the flavor, or you get a nice burn like you would from gulping piping hot coffee. Ya, I still get bit some loving a huge plume too often, but you learn to control with time. Virginia's.... don't be afraid to let the bowl go out and relight. Near end of bowl... relighting often gets it pretty hot if you are trying to smoke it all and leave no dottle with many tobaccos.
Amazing story! Thanks so much for sharing. Very inspiring :)

Reactions: jpmcwjr

indoeuro

Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Oh, boy. You asked a biiiiig opening question. Listen to everyone and no one is my best advice. You're already used to smoking, so that takes care of a lot of issues right off the bat. Watch videos and read up on packing and lighting. Most of all, don't overthink it. Just smoke and enjoy yourself, and the repetition will let your subliminal mind naturally and unobtrusively smooth out your technique.

Bs1950

Lurker
Mar 31, 2020
Whatever pipe you choose..rember to smoke slowly..if it goes out or is hot..let it rest a bit befor re.lighting..you don’t want to get pipe bite.

Bs1950

Lurker
Mar 31, 2020
Whatever pipe you choose..rember to smoke slowly..if it goes out or is hot..let it rest a bit befor re.lighting..you don’t want to get pipe bite.
Smokming pipes lists cob pipes for $4 to d10..they carry lots of bends o tobacco.check out their site!!

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I would check out smoking pipes.com and pick out a pipe that cetches your eye. Most will smoke just fine anything from a cob from Missouri meerschaum to a pipe in the $100 to $150 range. Plus smoking pipes keeps a list of top selling tin and bulk blends top 10 or top 100. Its usually a good place to start they are best sellers for a reason most of the time. They also have a great staff and if you tell them what cigars you like they might have some recommendations on tobacco to try. Good luck and enjoy the process.

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
Welcome! As others have said, you will need the following:
1) A Czech Tool or Pipe Nail
2) Matches (I don't suggest a lighter and DO NOT use a "jet" lighter with your pipe)
3) A pipe, whatever looks good to you (look up "Rossi" pipes, they are a Savinelli sub-brand)
4) Pipe cleaners (the cheapest prices I have found are BJ Long pipe cleaners on Amazon IF you have an Amazon Prime Visa and Prime free shipping)
5) Tobacco: They are like wines, don't limit yourself with a narrow focus! Get a handful of different tins to start your "rotation". I would personally suggest buying one each of the following: Straight Virginia, Virginia/Perique blend, Oriental blend, Burley blend, Balkan blend. This list represents lighter tobaccos and progresses to more robust tobaccos.
Suggestions:
1) Buy some UV protected AMBER mason jars to store your tobaccos.
2) Biotene Mouthwash helps ease the discomfort of tongue bite.
3) Look up "Muttonchop Piper" on YouTube, he has a great series on packing, lighting, etc. Just The Basics - YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_eIA77u0045uRa4mwaO0NyTUkmdtbXnw
4) tobaccoreviews.com is where I look to discover tobaccos I want to try. TobaccoReviews.com: The largest collection of pipe tobacco reviews on the internet. - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/
5) smokingpipes.com is my #1 choice for online store. Smokingpipes.com | Tobacco Pipes - Pipe Tobacco - https://www.smokingpipes.com/
Enjoy the experience! Happy piping

Last edited:

Black Forest Piper

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Colorado, USA
I'd definitely go with a cob from Missouri Meerschaum. Probably a country gentleman filtered or an Emerald non filtered. I do believe the cob adds a very subtle sweetness to the taste. Might just be me. And be patient. Don't expect your first pipe to be as grand as your trusty cigars. But after a few outings and not having to dork around with keeping it lit as much you'll come to love it.

Someone gave me a couple rubber bits to use when I was starting and it made a world of difference to my. I didn't like the plastic bits of the cobs on my teeth, but the rubber bit deally makes it easy to have the pipe hang in my teeth for a while.

• Love
Reactions: Morcillacosmica

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Welcome to the forum! Taste wise, I think many cigar smokers would like Gawith Hoggarth Brown Rope tobacco. Don't be intimidated by strength stated in the reviews, the form, or the flavors. They barely have any flavor, just deep, rich tobacco taste you'll appreciate coming from cigars. As for the form, just cur off 1/4 sliced and toss into a coffee grinder until it's the right size - usually just a second or two. Let it dry a bit before smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With tobacco, spend your first two or three years buying in small quantities, and ounce or two bulk, one tin, one pouch. What you don't like, put in a jar and try again in a year. Your tastes will change. Keep track of the blends you try, and equally the constituent tobaccos in the blends, so you know what it is you enjoy.

Reactions: Morcillacosmica

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd keep the price level of pipes modest until you have learned quite a bit about brands, shapes, filters, materials, finishes, airways, and so much more. Stick with known brands and standard materials at first. I think briars, cobs, and Meers in respected brands from established retailers work best. Consider estate (used pipes) as a way to keep price down. I'd say there's nothing wrong with Savinvelli, Stanwell, Big Ben, Dr. Grabow, Chacom, Nording and similar known brands. If you want to climb to a higher price level, you will learn a lot starting with more reasonably priced pipes. Though there is a case to be made, I disagree with the idea that you should spend as much as you can to get started; there's a lot to learn first.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
From my perspective.... sort of mashing several other suggestions together..... start with a pipe and pipe tobacco you can comfortably afford.... and then simply begin to explore. A lot of the fun is in the exploration.... you will have a lot of varied experiences doing so.... and I suspect most will be positive even if there are a few pitfalls along the way.

Feb 27, 2020
Welcome! As others have said, you will need the following:
1) A Czech Tool or Pipe Nail
2) Matches (I don't suggest a lighter and DO NOT use a "jet" lighter with your pipe)
3) A pipe, whatever looks good to you (look up "Rossi" pipes, they are a Savinelli sub-brand)
4) Pipe cleaners (the cheapest prices I have found are BJ Long pipe cleaners on Amazon IF you have an Amazon Prime Visa and Prime free shipping)
5) Tobacco: They are like wines, don't limit yourself with a narrow focus! Get a handful of different tins to start your "rotation". I would personally suggest buying one each of the following: Straight Virginia, Virginia/Perique blend, Oriental blend, Burley blend, Balkan blend. This list represents lighter tobaccos and progresses to more robust tobaccos.
Suggestions:
1) Buy some UV protected AMBER mason jars to store your tobaccos.
2) Biotene Mouthwash helps ease the discomfort of tongue bite.
3) Look up "Muttonchop Piper" on YouTube, he has a great series on packing, lighting, etc. Just The Basics - YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_eIA77u0045uRa4mwaO0NyTUkmdtbXnw
4) tobaccoreviews.com is where I look to discover tobaccos I want to try. TobaccoReviews.com: The largest collection of pipe tobacco reviews on the internet. - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/
5) smokingpipes.com is my #1 choice for online store. Smokingpipes.com | Tobacco Pipes - Pipe Tobacco - https://www.smokingpipes.com/
Enjoy the experience! Happy piping
WOW!! Amazing, spectacular! Thanks so much for all this valuable information!! You guys are the best :)

Reactions: Dallas Wynn
Feb 27, 2020
From my perspective.... sort of mashing several other suggestions together..... start with a pipe and pipe tobacco you can comfortably afford.... and then simply begin to explore. A lot of the fun is in the exploration.... you will have a lot of varied experiences doing so.... and I suspect most will be positive even if there are a few pitfalls along the way.
Thanks so much! I will do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.