PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2021
Hello everyone. Thanks for letting me join up.
So a little about me I suppose. Everyone calls me Subway. I am from Minnesota, grew up about a half hour north of St. Paul. And moved about a hour west of the Twin Cites in 2010. I grew up in the trucking industry my Mom and Dad had a company for quite some time, my Granddad started driving when he got home from the Navy in '46. Dad started in '70 after he got home from the Marines/Vietnam. I followed next in line. Being 37 now I started young, bought my first truck when I was 18 a 1974 International and a 1969 Fruehauf flatbed trailer. Hauled lumber locally for our distributor until I was 21 and could "legally" leave the borders of MN to what I did on my 21st birthday. Several different trucks and trailers I never looked back till a couple years ago. Ever changing laws, and started to miss the kids so I hung up my keys.

I took a job in my town wrenching on machines after I sold my truck and that lasted a couple years until December 29th this past year when a careless co-worker caused a explosion and we were both taken out. I am still recovering. So with a little more time on my hands and lurking here I decided to Join. I have been a pipe smoker (again following my dad and grandpa) for as long as I can remember. I have a fond to me collection mostly Savinelli and Peterson. Why I am not sure it is what I have came to enjoy.

Anyway. Probably the longest intro ever. So with that, thank you again all and nice to meet you.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Welcome, from what we call Nordeast Minneaoplis. When there aren't any pandemics the Great Northern Pipe club meets at Tobacco Grove (Maple Grove) and recently at Sodie's near the Wisconsin border. Before my arrival Perfect Ash in Inver Grove was the meetup spot, but it's more of a cigar place, and in the three years this part of the country has been been my home we've only met there twice.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Welcome from the UK! I hope your recovery is as speedy as possible!

Pipenwheels

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2020
Ohio
Welcome from Ohio. Much respect for truckers, my granddad drove trucks after Korea until retirement....mostly doubles for CF....and he was a teamster. He raised 5 kids and retired comfortabley. Goes to show that one does not have to go to college to make a respectable living!

Mar 10, 2021
Welcome, from what we call Nordeast Minneaoplis. When there aren't any pandemics the Great Northern Pipe club meets at Tobacco Grove (Maple Grove) and recently at Sodie's near the Wisconsin border. Before my arrival Perfect Ash in Inver Grove was the meetup spot, but it's more of a cigar place, and in the three years this part of the country has been been my home we've only met there twice.
Ah yes! Nordeast! Spent a lot of time around those parts... I'm only 40 minutes or so from Tobacco Grove its a nice hang out! I'm not sure how long they have been around I've only been there a couple times but I grew up pretty much across the river from Sodies in Chisago City.

Reactions: greeneyes
Mar 10, 2021
Welcome from the UK! I hope your recovery is as speedy as possible!
Thanks! One day Id love to visit. Its been a lifelong goal to go see where my grandma lived in Salcombe. Aunts and uncles are living in Leicester. Other family in Loughborogh and over the channel in Houesville.

Reactions: Toast
Mar 10, 2021
Welcome from Ohio. Much respect for truckers, my granddad drove trucks after Korea until retirement....mostly doubles for CF....and he was a teamster. He raised 5 kids and retired comfortabley. Goes to show that one does not have to go to college to make a respectable living!
Thanks much! MY Grandpa was a old CF man as well ran out of PA and a few other terminals throughout the years. A total of 49 years. Grandma died in 2001 maybe 6 months before he retired. He sure did rack up the retirement plan though. I often thought about going down the teamster route but I'm a ways from any of the line haul outfits terminals

Reactions: Pipenwheels

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Thanks! One day Id love to visit. Its been a lifelong goal to go see where my grandma lived in Salcombe. Aunts and uncles are living in Leicester. Other family in Loughborogh and over the channel in Houesville.
Salcombe is very pretty, a lovely bit of the country!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hello everyone. Thanks for letting me join up.
So a little about me I suppose. Everyone calls me Subway. I am from Minnesota, grew up about a half hour north of St. Paul. And moved about a hour west of the Twin Cites in 2010. I grew up in the trucking industry my Mom and Dad had a company for quite some time, my Granddad started driving when he got home from the Navy in '46. Dad started in '70 after he got home from the Marines/Vietnam. I followed next in line. Being 37 now I started young, bought my first truck when I was 18 a 1974 International and a 1969 Fruehauf flatbed trailer. Hauled lumber locally for our distributor until I was 21 and could "legally" leave the borders of MN to what I did on my 21st birthday. Several different trucks and trailers I never looked back till a couple years ago. Ever changing laws, and started to miss the kids so I hung up my keys.

I took a job in my town wrenching on machines after I sold my truck and that lasted a couple years until December 29th this past year when a careless co-worker caused a explosion and we were both taken out. I am still recovering. So with a little more time on my hands and lurking here I decided to Join. I have been a pipe smoker (again following my dad and grandpa) for as long as I can remember. I have a fond to me collection mostly Savinelli and Peterson. Why I am not sure it is what I have came to enjoy.

Anyway. Probably the longest intro ever. So with that, thank you again all and nice to meet you.
I like Intros like these myself. A lot better than 'I'm new here' and that's it.

Good luck on your recovery, and welcome!

Reactions: Reggie and edger
Status
Not open for further replies.