PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
It’s been a while. Figured I’d give a quick update for anyone interested; apologies to those who aren’t.

I got laid off. Took a year and a half off after that since I was in school full-time. Found a different job after my wife had to resign to student teach. She finished her MS and got a job teaching. I graduated Summa Cum Laude in March 2022. I was recently accepted into a graduate program in Wildlife Biology on a Dall Sheep project up here in Alaska. The kids are still awesome and keeping me young. I started a business in addition to all of the other madness. I still appreciate astronomy. I don’t smoke much anymore, if at all - maybe 3-4 bowls a year. I hardly drink anymore, but enjoy this new lifestyle that sees me spending more time outside and with the kids.

I jumped on here because I’m starting to go through all of my pipe stuff in hopes of finding new homes for it. In the process, I forgot how much I love this place and the banter. I’ll probably stick around for a bit, at least until my ADHD takes over again and I find myself going down the rabbit hole of another hobby.

To those from back when, I hope you’ve all been well. To the new folks, you’ve found a great place. Here’s to you all.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Weren't you working oil rigs up there?

Nope. I’ve taught classes in the oilfield in Aberdeen, but the oilfield has been in the rear view since they laid me off in 2020. I was directional drilling down in Texas when I first joined this site, but haven’t looked back since they canned me. My phone has been ringing off the hook for the last year, but I’m done playing that game.

This was just a trip with my dad, brother, and my dad’s best friend since he was a kid. He threw us into the lottery for 2020 (and we drew tee times) and then we got COVIDed. 2021 saw insane regulation that would have required us to pay almost $10k each for a UK certified, quarantine hotel, or some BS.

Fortunately, the fine folks at St. Andrews worked with us throughout the two year ordeal and we were able to make the trip happen a few weeks before the 150th Open Championship was played there. The stands were up, and everything.

152ADB08-4AA7-41F4-822E-237FC2D3FFDB.jpeg

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Welcome back Boomer. How's your daughter who lost her best friend? We'll, I hope. Nice to see you back on the forum.

She’s doing well. It came back up this week because my wife’s grandmother passed away on Thursday and that’s the first time we’ve had to deal with anyone passing since “the incident.”

All in all, she handled that situation really well. A lot better than I think I would have if something so heinous would have happened in my life when I was that age.

And - even though I’ve been away for a while - none of us have forgotten your kindness and the momentum it gained here.