PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbthomps

Lurker
Oct 28, 2015
This review is the third review of the Deathmetal mixtures; Aiwass and Massacra being the other two. The blend is produced by our very own forum mainstay, Deathmetal. I wrote Deathmetal requesting some samples and, as usual, he was kind enough to oblige me with two bowl-fulls. I have recently had the opportunity to sit down, focus, and enjoy Hellhammer. Below is my review and my thoughts:
Hellhammer -- A Metal Mixture

==========================

The sample was relatively perfect, moisture wise, from the bag; the aroma was predominantly leather and musk with notes of whiskey and hints of the woodsy outdoors.
Dry time: 15 min

Pipe Used: Boswell straight two-ring bulldog (roughly a group 4)
Overall:

Strength (nicotine): light

Flavor: mild to lowish-medium
Flavor Breakdown:
First Third of the Bowl:

-----------------------

easy char and light. I am immediately greeted by a lightly-sweetened leathery hue of silky smoke with hints of spice and a refined, rustic flavor. Latakia is a wallflower in this blend; modestly lurking in the background.
Second Third of the Bowl:

------------------------

As seems to be the modus operandi for the Deathmetal blends they increase with intensity as the bowl progresses; Hellhammer is no exception. The second half of the bowl is markedly more spice-forward, musky with the bliss of mildly sweet leather tickling the second string. The body is smooth, and the smoke is cool. At this point the blend had my full attention and was satisfying, to say the least, in the mid-day heat.
Last Third of the Bowl:

------------------------

The flavor is fully mature at this point, and is simply sublime. The oak-barrel whiskey notes are playing second string to the musky, leathery forte. The spice subsides to allow the overall rustic flavor to take the center stage. The woodsy latakia notes are noticeable once more, though they remain in the background and add, overall, a distinctly refined quality to the otherwise ruggedly-sophisticated ensemble.
Overall Impressions:

------------------------

Now THIS is an all-day blend. It is complex enough to maintain your interest, with its many hues of brown and tan flavors, while in no way overstaying its welcome. It evokes images of a west Texas sendero, a lawman riding high in the stirrups, or a leatherman's shop as the craftsman sips whisky and works with focus, and intent. If I were in charge of marketing this blend I would name it something like "Sendero", "Wyatt Earp", or use some other vernacular to convey its refined rustication. Well done.
All in all: Once more, I would absolutely purchase this to include in my cell, or rotation, if it were a commercial product.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you for the good review. d'metal sent me a sample a while back and I have enjoyed it. Nice balance and vitality. I'd be guessing at the constituent tobaccos, but I "know" there's a nice spike of burley in there.

tbthomps

Lurker
Oct 28, 2015
There very well may be; although I doubt we can coax the secret out of him. Possibly, the body of the smoke is produced by the brandishing of some burley although I did not pick up on much in the way of 'bready' or 'nutty' notes. My palate is still fairly new, though, so you are more than likely correct.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Thank you for the wonderful review. "Sendero" is an appealing word. This blend is like most of them heavily Burley based but part of the game is giving that flavor a little "spin" with the condimental tobaccos.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Enjoyed the review ... it makes one desire the blend. Yes Sendero is an appealing word, and thanks OP for educating me on its meaning.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Sounds interesting. I look forward to trying DM's mixtures someday, they're always reviewed well. Making mixtures is one of the joys of pipe smoking IMHO.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hellhammer may be my favorite of the Metal Mixtures but damn it, they're all good! I wish C&D could pick these up and produce them on a much larger scale and make them available for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.