PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Even though it has been around since the 1930's somehow I have missed trying Heine's Blend tobacco. Smokingpipes.com is the only place I have found it, and it only comes in a tub. It sounds like something I might like. I enjoy Hines Mixture, but Heine's Blend I believe is an entirely different creature. Has anybody had Heine's Blend and what is your take on it?

Reactions: JOHN72

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Reactions: JOHN72

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
At one point I was interested in trying it. Alas, importing a tub would be a field day for customs, so I had to pass (well, more like the expectation of a field day because I'd refuse to pay murderous duties and return it).

Now, after a couple of pouches of codger blends I've been cured of even thinking of wanting boo-rley-based blends.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
jiminks gave it 3 1/2 stars so it must be pretty good. His taste buds are much more aware than mine. I think I'll take my chances and buy a tub. If I die at 150 years old I will never smoke all the tobacco stored away, so what's another tub to the group.
I found it does best in a cob, although one of my Grabows likes it, too. I also suggest a moderate puffing cadence.

Reactions: Elric and JOHN72

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I found it does best in a cob, although one of my Grabows likes it, too. I also suggest a moderate puffing cadence.
I would like to thank you for your many tobacco reviews. I appreciate that you provide the facts about a tobacco and leave personal opinions aside. The reader can pretty much understand that if jiminks gives a 1 or 2 star review that perhaps it may not be the best in the world. I read once that you smoke 16 bowls a day. Your taste buds must be made of asbestos because my mouth tells me 5 or 6 bowls a day is enough. Thanks again, you are appreciated in the pipe smoker community.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I would like to thank you for your many tobacco reviews. I appreciate that you provide the facts about a tobacco and leave personal opinions aside. The reader can pretty much understand that if jiminks gives a 1 or 2 star review that perhaps it may not be the best in the world. I read once that you smoke 16 bowls a day. Your taste buds must be made of asbestos because my mouth tells me 5 or 6 bowls a day is enough. Thanks again, you are appreciated in the pipe smoker community.
Thank you for the very kind words. The reason I can smoke as much as I do is desire and hydration. I drink a lot of ice water and bergs. Apples are a great palate cleanser when I need one or when I'm just hungry. Also, continually switching tobacco genres works for me. Outside of that, it's genetics.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried it, but along those lines, a restored blend is Spilman Mixture, rather mild but kind of nuanced and pleasant once you learn to let it be quiet.

Reactions: WVOldFart

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I received my ordered tub of Heine's Blend and I don't believe there will be any trouble smoking all of it. In fact, I am thinking of ordering a few more tubs. If you are a Burley lover you should like this blend. It will not knock your socks off or make you yell "Yahaaa", but you will enjoy a pleasant, enjoyable, relaxing smoke. It is a tobacco that you don't have to think over much. Just fill the bowl and enjoy. It reminds me of Sutliff's Match Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. It should be dried for a few minutes before smoking to get the full value of the nutty, woodsy Burley. If you like a comfortable Burley blend, this old OTC should do it for you.

Reactions: JimInks

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
jiminks gave it 3 1/2 stars so it must be pretty good. His taste buds are much more aware than mine. I think I'll take my chances and buy a tub. If I die at 150 years old I will never smoke all the tobacco stored away, so what's another tub to the group.
I bought a tub from Smokingpipes recently while getting a few tins of SG Full Virginia Flake. I have tubs and regularly smoke Sutliffs Edward G. Robinson, Mixture # 79 and Dutch Masters Whiskey Cavendish (Old Grandad Cavendish). I haven't opened the Heines Blend tub yet though. To be honest I have 5 tubs of tobacco opened right now LOL. I at least want to finish one of the tubs before I open another. Did you try it yet?

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I bought a tub from Smokingpipes recently while getting a few tins of SG Full Virginia Flake. I have tubs and regularly smoke Sutliffs Edward G. Robinson, Mixture # 79 and Dutch Masters Whiskey Cavendish (Old Grandad Cavendish). I haven't opened the Heines Blend tub yet though. To be honest I have 5 tubs of tobacco opened right now LOL. I at least want to finish one of the tubs before I open another. Did you try it yet?
Yes, I like it very much. It is one of the tobacos I smoke regularly. It is not complicated, but neither am I. We get along well.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Yes, I like it very much. It is one of the tobacos I smoke regularly. It is not complicated, but neither am I. We get along well.
It was burning a hole in my cellar. I opened it and been smoking it ever since LOL. I really like this tobacco. I'm going to order another tub of this and EGR. I've read your other post about drying it. I totally agree with you on that. Plus I rub out the chunks as well. The cut reminds me of Sutliffs Revelation Match, (another one I like), but I like the taste and it doesn't have a bad nic-hit either. My wife loved the room note from this stuff. Sutliffs has a weird way of making their blends with the chunks of like powdered tobacco. They are moist chunks. When I dry them and rub them out it really brings out rich flavors.