PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I didn't anticipate the difference made by high humidity, even though I'd seen some discussions of it. What I don't understand now, after struggling a bit, is why pipe smokers don't make much use of humidors. I've supposed it might be because of the varied needs of the tobaccos themselves but I'm not sure. In the near future I'm going to make an arduino-based coolerdore to keep my tobacco much drier than I've been able in ambient household climate.

Reactions: anotherbob

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I didn't anticipate the difference made by high humidity, even though I'd seen some discussions of it. What I don't understand now, after struggling a bit, is why pipe smokers don't make much use of humidors. I've supposed it might be because of the varied needs of the tobaccos themselves but I'm not sure. In the near future I'm going to make an arduino-based coolerdore to keep my tobacco much drier than I've been able in ambient household climate.
Maybe a Yetidore!

Reactions: anotherbob

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio

I think mostly because if it’s in a sealed tin, humidity or lack of won’t affect the tobacco, and if it’s a jar…same. I have heard of people keeping it in a cooler, though…but I’ve never bothered.

Heat and humidity are my natural enemies. I work on a produce farm and do physical labor all day. Anything above 70 and I’m miserable. I want it 50 degrees and lightly drizzling, every day.

For some reason, though, during this last heatwave I’ve been really enjoying some Dark Fired shags, like Ryback and Dark Birdseye. The quick burning shag cut seems to not be affected by humidity much, and that nice smoky BBQ flavor is nice in the heat I think. And, of course, cobs seem to be a natural pipe to choose on a hot summer’s day. Newminster 400 is a great hot weather smoke, too.

If you live in Florida, why?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think it's because of how well jars work. They keep the tobacco in my opinion at the ideal level of moisture.

Reactions: 5star

ncshawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I get bad tasting bowls from time to time and have yet to figure out one thing that causes it. Weather does affect your sinuses though.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
For me in the summer, pipes for air conditioning and cigars for sweating outside. I love sweat. It’s healthy. Hell, in the winter we set in a steamroom every day to get our dose of good ol’ sweat.

I’m not sure what this “swamp ass” is people mention. It must involve very large asses. puffy
nope got nothing to do with ass size. It's just what happens if you sweat like a man ( :P ).