PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
My saliva seems to be an instant oxidizer for alot of vulcanite. I was thinking of cleaning them up and then putting black heat shrink tube on them, and heating to fit. Then I don't have to worry about oxidizing and if it gets two many tooth marks , just put a new tube on.
Does any one work with this stuff? Could you recommend me a brand or material type that is not toxic by simple contact of mucus membranes I.E. mouth, or relatively inert.
Thanks

May 4, 2015
Why not just buy the clear tubing that a lot of people cut to fit instead of the softy bits? You just want it black?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I had them once the taste was horrible,I got it from automotive shop(in all probability this wasen't food grade plastic,lol),and even if it was when I removed it from few stems I noticed the part of the stem(button)which were covered with this shirnkable tube got another lighter colour ie,the rest of the stem remaining a shade darker,perhaps this was due of the heating process of the tube, nonetheless I may need to figure out something,my stems are developing obvious tooth chatters

but those regular softy bit I feel they are too clumsy and unconfortable,

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I think you'll have start emailing the folks who make this stuff for your answer. There must be a food grade version out there.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Home repair shops have clear tubing of various diameters. Food grade tubing will be clearly marked. Ive bought plenty for setting up my beer taps but cant recall which material I used.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
If you try it, be sure to avoid the tubing with adhesive. They're very common. I have tried the kit from Harbor Freight and it's been fine. I remove the print first with alcohol. Harbor Freight sells kits both with and without adhesive, by the way, so take care.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Have you considered that by applying tubing to your stem you will be making it considerably thicker in the process thereby less comfortable in the mouth?
I would suggest polishing your stems then applying mineral oil to stave off oxidation.
Regards,
Jay.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I never used heat shrink, but have used 3/8" latex surgical tubing that I purchased fro Lowe's Hardware. I've since switched to softie bits. I'll boil the softie bits in hot water once a month to sanitize them.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Jay;Can't argue,the only pipe with which I'm permanently using these bits is my Old big bowl 606 Peterson Deluxe pot, this one has old fashion thin saddle stem fitted, and even with this one(weighin 45gr)I feel these bits are causing some discofort my main consern is not oxidation,since that common problem is something I can manage to work out with my current tools and knowledge,whereas removing tooth chattermarks is much more time consuming process,although,so far I hadn't start experimenting how to do this' have Best Greets, the Iron teeth Paul'

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Paul, fine grit sandpaper (600, 800, 1000) followed by Micromesh pads is the best way to remove tooth chatter. That followed up with a polish of white diamond and wipe over with mineral oil and you're done.
Using that method I have made some really skanky stems look better than new :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Does light exposure contribute to oxydation? I thought it was caused by exposure to oxygen. If I'm right, then clear tubing should be as effective as black. I personally think I'd stick with softy bits as they can be removed and cleaned/sanitized.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have always heard that UV does contribute to oxidation, but I do not know it as a scientifically proven fact.
Snag, I feel your pain. My Komodo dragon saliva instantly oxidizes vulcanite as well. I suspect it's because I put my pipes in the same hole I use for my frequent spleen venting, resulting in extremely bilious saliva. Again, not scientifically proven.

Reactions: slomofo411
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Jay: Thanks for tipping me off,happily I have all these components' on hand now,(had ordered all them from the following merchants>endlessgreen.co.uk and modellingtools.co.uk) do you happen to use whether Dremel drill or wheel buffer when finshing off this process?

Best Greets, Paul

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I have struggled with this issue for many years as I have very sharp teeth; if you really care about the stem, get another one made and ruin that one personally, people are so good at making stems that I believe you should just enjoy the pipe you have and if you so desire a nice new stem, get one done right.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Gloopstick!
Google it and watch the 23 minute Christmas special from 1978, by Chuck Jones.
It's the solution to all of our pipe wear woes....
jay-roger.jpg

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I personally stick with the softy bits sold by SP. I am a clincher so on certain pipes it is a must for me. Oxidation is just something that we who like vulcanite stems have to deal with. You can try and slow down the process but if your pipes have a vulcanite stem it will happen.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"do you happen to use whether Dremel drill or wheel buffer when finshing off this process?"
Paul, I use a buffer with various wheels/pads for different polishing tasks. I too have a Dremel mounted on their Dremel Workstation, this comes in handy for many pipe related tasks but would be hopeless for buffing or polishing in my view.
Regards,
Jay.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXkUSgLHnHc
This fella gave me the idea...It works for me. I'm looking for clear shrinktube for a colorful stem I have, but can only find it sold by the roll...that's too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.