PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I enjoy this line. I always wondered why the tins are not vacuum sealed. Some brands do some don't? Does it matter?

Some companies give you more for your money by adding air, and other scumbags just add nothing to the tin. Vacuum, nothingness... get it? :puffy:

Ok ok, how about I pull a rabbit out of a hat...

hqdefault.jpg

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
If you're referencing the Signature Series tins, those were the kinds of tins available to us at the time. Once we launched the Marquee Series, we moved them into vacuum-sealed tins as soon as we had access to them. I don't find one superior to the other, but the aging is somewhat different. If you have any Marquee tins without a vacuum, let me know so I can check with the manufacturer.
Russ

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Russ, would you please expand on the differences in aging between the vacuumed Marquee Series and the old 8 oz Signature Series tins? I have numerous old Signature tins. Would you recommend jarring these or are they good to go for many more years? Thanks in advance.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Those old tins have held up quite well, so I don't see a need to jar them, but I would definitely move the tobacco to a jar once opened.

The difference is aging between the two types of tins is that there will be more aerobic fermentation is the tins that aren't vacuum sealed. Is the difference enough to be noticeable? Probably, if you have a discerning palate, but most people won't be able to detect it.
Russ

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Thanks for the response, Russ. I've heard elsewhere people not trusting the old tins. So I'm glad to hear my tins are safe in your opinion. That was a bit of a worry.

I'm definitely in the camp of not detecting the subtle differences between a longer aerobic stage vs quicker anaerobic fermentation. And at the price point you guys were letting those old tins go at years ago, I'm thrilled I stocked up when I did. I think I'll celebrate and crack a tin of Burley Kake. I want to give the Marble Kake and Annie Kake another decade to stew :D

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I just had some eight year-old Annie Kake and it ages well. The Perique loses some of the tang, but increases in the dark fruit notes. It was remarkably sweet and "round".
Russ

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Annie Kake was my very first "favorite" tobacco and I jarred up pounds of it in bulk way before it was available in tins. It really has aged remarkably well.

The peppery aspect when new has turned more "plummy" and I love it even more a decade later. I definitely consider it in your Top 3 creations, Russ.

Fortunate "accident" indeed....

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've been smoking seven year old Anni Kake, and I agree with Russ.

Status
Not open for further replies.