PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Review: It's good! Thanks for reading.

Ok, a little more detail. I picked this up a while back but didn't know much about it other than its Latakia forward and so far I've liked the other H&H tinned blends. So I was expecting a heavy Latakia English blend, which I enjoy when it's balanced. I never noticed the "dark-fired Kentucky" component in the description. I sure noticed it in the first bowl, and the second and so on. I love dark-fired blends, particularly from GH&Co and they are my favorite winter smokes. They are rich, deep, full and heavy. Where Cerebus really shines is being an English blend where dark-fired Kentucky is a tasty component yet it works in harmony with everything else yet doesn't drowned them out. I think they did a terrific job with this one. It's full without being too heavy and maintains a nice smoothness from top too bottom.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Where Cerebus really shines is being an English blend where dark-fired Kentucky is a tasty component yet it works in harmony with everything else yet doesn't drowned them out. I think they did a terrific job with this one. It's full without being too heavy and maintains a nice smoothness from top too bottom.
I LOVE the stuff, wife...hates the smell of it. So sorry for her luck on that one... rotf

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Time for me to re-visit this one. I had it when I was a new pipe smoker and liked it a lot. I remember it was sort of spicy and tart at the same time, and a bit unique from the other Latakia blends I'd had at that point.

I see some people asking about Latakia blends with DFK. If you look at some of the blends intended to ape the old Balkan Sobranies, such as the Sutliff matches or Blackhouse, many use a bit of DFK. I think the intent is to simulate the flavor profile of aged Syrian latakia.

Status
Not open for further replies.