PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Just curious and maybe Russ may see this before I get a response from P&C.
Does Capital Stairs still contain Deer Tongue? The P&C website doesn't mention it. That seems to be a big omission for something like Deer Tongue.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'll see Russ tonight and ask him but deer tongue is listed on the description on tobaccoreviews.com.

Another deer tongue fave of mine is C&D Gentleman Caller.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
4noggins doesn't carry the blend I want so I usually go through P&C for a 1 to 3 tin order because of the lower shipping costs. Plus it'll be a smaller box to hide from the wife.
Anyways I have a tin of GC and some 4noggins'Imagine and wanted another Deer Tongue blend to try.
Thanks!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
On a somewhat related note. Does anyone have a recommendation for a first try blend with Deer Tongue? I'm curious about Deer Tongue, and I smelled a jar of C&D's Crooner and I thought it was really nice, but I didn't want to jump in the deep end with that type of blend as I've read that Crooner has quite a bit of it.
Can you recommend one to sample, that might have a light amount of DT?

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I'd recommend Gentleman Caller at this point for a mild Deer Tongue blend. If CS has DT in it still I should have a tin in my hands within a few days and can let you know.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I picked up 4oz of Crooner to try on the C&D bulk sales at SP. I'm not real experienced in deer tongue either but I can say I thought the blend was quite interesting and very enjoyable. I probably wouldn't cellar pounds of it, but it's a nice blend nonetheless.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
FWIW, Half&Half had deer tongue in it 40 years ago. Todays H&H is not quite there. As I mentioned above C&D Gentleman Caller is a very nice blend and I always have it on hand.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for contacting Pipes & Cigars. Unfortunately, Russ decided to replace the Deer Tongue in this blend. While we do not believe that herb poses a health risk, the cost and trouble of fighting the Federal Government was too great.
Let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.
Thank you,
Niko Pitsilos

Customer Service Supervisor

Pipesandcigars.com
There you have it. I'll see if I can update TR.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
4noggins' Imagine has deer tongue. I'm not a fan, but if you like deer tongue this has it by the bucketload.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
To clarify- our people were concerned about using deertongue in our blends, because of the coumarin content. No one has directly said that it can't be used, but with the government on the warpath, why take chances? We found a flavoring from a German company that is virtually identical in aroma to deertongue, and began substituting it about three years ago, and we received no complaints, and I find that the blends are pretty much the same. It's nice when a plan comes together.
Russ

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Well I didn't quite know what I had stumbled on when I first started reading this thread. I couldn't figure out why anyone would possibly want to smoke this. :rofl:
fallowdeerhead.jpg

On a serious note though, what does this plant taste like?

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Since I'm not a fan, I don't think I should be the first to comment, but if you like the aroma of the unsmoked you will also like the flavor of the smoke, and the taste on your tongue all night long.

Status
Not open for further replies.