PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
So I cracked open a tin of the H&H Opus Magnum the other day that I had purchased roughly a year ago. I'd heard plenty of good things so I was really looking forward to the smoke. Upon opening it, the contents felt very very dry... Not crumbling quite, but just on the cusp of crumbling. Is this stuff supposed to have that low of a moisture content? I can't help but feel like I didn't get the full experience because while it tasted good while smoking, I needed to frequently relight it, and it burned quite hot. I got the tin from P&C on sale. Has anybody had a similar experience? This stuff smells amazing and I think I might have gotten a poorly sealed tin. In which case, I'd totally get a fresh one to give this tobacco another chance. Thoughts?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Our tobaccos are intentionally on the dry side for two reasons. I feel that overly moist tobacco dilutes the flavor by watering down the smoke with steam. Drier tobaccos need to packed a little firmer to get the best results, but if you prefer your tobacco a bit more moist, you can always rehydrate it using distilled water. The other reason we don't overly hydrate is because we don't feel that you should be paying for water instead of tobacco.
Russ

Reactions: john19

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Russ, thanks for the insight! I'll try a firmer pack next time! I think im just used to smoking more moist blends.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I never age Magnum Opus or Blackhouse, mainly because I can't stat away from it long enough. yummy!

aeropuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2016
Sounds good to

me, I'd like to try it. I've also heard good things about Blackhouse.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
It's a great blend! Like Russ said it's better to pack it a little harder than usual. Such a great blend!

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
The other reason we don't overly hydrate is because we don't feel that you should be paying for water instead of tobacco.
Thank you Russ for saying that. On planet Earth water is free. I hate paying dearly for my precious pipe tobacco only then to have to dry it out for two hours to remove all the excess moisture.

Reactions: drayve85

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Had to bust out my stash of 2011 Magnum Opus after reading this. Quite a delicious reminder.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
What is better than opening a tin and seeing that the tobacco is ready to smoke? I was also making the same mistake by smoking my tobacco too moist. Had to relight many times and pass a pipe cleaner through the stem every 20 minutes or so, learned it the hard way.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
A quick and easy method to hydrate your tobacco is to use your hand to completely seal the top of a loaded bowl and gently exhale one full breath through the stem. The tobacco at the top of the bowl should feel slightly springy. You can mop up any remaining moisture with a pipe cleaner.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Deliciousness and no waiting to dry it out.
Also in addition to magnum opus and blackhouse also give white knight a shot. mmmm

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
DK you may want to stock up on all 3. If things don't change with the FDA all 3 could be going the way of the dodo bird.
I've been taking advantage of the 20% off sale at pipesandcigars.com and stocking up on the 3 of them. In fact I need to put in another order before the code expires at the end of the month. (Thanks Russ for the discount and the amazing tobacco's you make!)

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
It's always nice to hear good things about your work. I'm glad that so many people enjoy my own personal blend (Magnum Opus). Of course I don't want any of the Marquee blends to go away, but we may be able to figure out a way to keep them ongoing.
Russ

Jan 8, 2013
I've also heard good things about Blackhouse.
Blackhouse was the first Balkan I've tried, and I was hooked at first light. It's still a favorite. Give it a try. For some reason, I've still not tried Magnum Opus, although I've only heard good things about it.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Russ seriously I don't know what I would do without those 3. For me they are the pinnacle of pipe tobacco.
My stash of each of those blends will not last me a lifetime so I certainly hope there will be some changes in the near future with the FDA ruling.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Upon opening it, the contents felt very very dry... Not crumbling quite, but just on the cusp of crumbling.
I prefer tobacco this way. Let it burn like cured dry leaves, and a lot more flavor reveals itself without the steam which causes flavor to sort of "decay" in mid-draw.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I prefer tobacco this way. Let it burn like cured dry leaves, and a lot more flavor reveals itself without the steam which causes flavor to sort of "decay" in mid-draw.

I absolutely concur.
Russ

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
@fitzy, if you are talking about ptcom16, it is not working anymore. However the free shipping is still active as well as pcthanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.