PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I love Alan Parsons Project and that's a simply great track ... and a pretty funny video to boot!

But yeah, those two tracks are pretty similar. I've been on a 90s kick lately, and I somehow haven't listened to "Runaway Train" in a while. It's a pretty solid 90s tearjerker. Someone needs to do mashup of those two songs.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Interesting find. Playing in cover bands for years I run into this pretty often. We've actually had to cut songs from our setlist because they sound too similar to each other, or sometimes we do a medley such cases and run directly from one song to the other. We are currently considering doing such a medley with R.O.C.K. in the USA, by John Mellencamp, and What I Like About You, by the Romantics, both similar sounding songs.

A big problem putting similar songs in a set list is that it's easy to get them mixed up and play the wrong song.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Interesting find. Playing in cover bands for years I run into this pretty often. We've actually had to cut songs from our setlist because they sound too similar to each other, or sometimes we do a medley such cases and run directly from one song to the other. We are currently considering doing such a medley with R.O.C.K. in the USA, by John Mellencamp, and What I Like About You, by the Romantics, both similar sounding songs.

A big problem putting similar songs in a set list is that it's easy to get them mixed up and play the wrong song.
The answer: "Talking In Your Sleep"!

Reactions: Briar Tuck and STP

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Alan Parsons was the audio engineer for one of my favorite albums, Pink Floyd’s DSOTM, which reminded me of this odd comparison between the beginning of Let There Be More Light (A Saucerful of Secrets- 1968) and Block Rockin' Beats (The Chemical Brothers- 1997):