PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I've been thinking a lot recently about the overall lifestyles of tobacco users. While I know we (in general) believe pipe smoking isn't really detrimental to one's health, I'm curious if others care to chime in on whether this is one of several 'vices', or whether they live an overall healthy lifestyle. I'm happy to go first.
Pros: I eat very healthily, exercise 5 times or more each week, and don't take any prescription medications. I've never done drugs or smoked a cigarette.
Cons: I chew tobacco on occasion (blame years of baseball and a childhood in rural Tennessee), and drink a hair more than moderately.
Overall, I would say I live a generally healthy lifestyle, but I'm certainly not going to forego life's little pleasures (pipe smoking chief among them) in the interest of adding a couple years onto the end of my life. I would expect that cigarette smokers would have different answers than pipe smokers, largely because cigarette smoking would indicate a greater willingness to accept the risks associated with certain habits.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I smoke cigarettes, pipes, and enjoy a chaw no and then when in no smoking situations. I live my life as I see fit and don't do labels, healthy/not healthy, etc. Just take it one day at a time and enjoy. Oh, I'm a believer in genetics being the most important factor in length and quality of life.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I use every form of tobacco, eat the highest calorie foods I can find to keep up with my metabolic blast furnace, and my LDL is 10mg with 0% body fat. Had an aunt that abhorred tobacco, never drank, did regular doctor visits, and died in her late thirties from lung cancer.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I eat a very healthy diet and drink very little. Recently even gave up sweet tea and almost all sugar. Other than smoking 6 to 8 bowls of pipe tobacco per day, I'm a blueprint for health.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I live my life as I see fit and don't do labels
If pipe smoking is going to kill me it better wait in line. Long list of shit will get me before that. I bought the ticket,time for the ride... :twisted:

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Workout 5 days a week on mountain bike. Only smoke a pipe and eat Keto. I drink an occasional beer but no longer drink spirits. Still keep up with the young pups.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I can't moderate. I go between the excess of smoking too much and drinking too much - to cutting it out altogether for about 3 months and excercising regularly. I have quit the bad habit of diet soda that I had picked up though. That crap is addictive beyond belief.....

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I'm glad this topic was raised. I was planning on posting something in the same vein. I've made a significant change in my life over a year ago. 99% of the time now, I no longer eat red meat,chicken,fish(mostly), and all dairy. "Plant-based" is the best way to describe it. If someone calls me a vegan, I deny it and say "flexitarian" as I will be flexible when I'm on a 5 day fishing trip with the boys. But my system lets me know it doesn't like it when I go back to my old habits. I actually feel better eating this way. The food tastes great otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it. And, lets face it, if my partner wasn't doing 90% of the cooking, I know I wouldn't be doing very well following this regime. With all the recent posts about Thanksgiving meals, I wondered if there were any other plant-based pipers out there...

I should add that I tend to exercise regularly (help to run a non-profit gym), and drink scotch, wine and beer moderately.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I eat lots of fatty foods and lead a sedentary lifestyle. Smoking a pipe, continuously, usually with coffee, is my only vice. Been like this for 54 years, and since I'm going on 71 yrs., it's not likely I'll reform any time soon. :puffy:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Like most of you, I try to do what I can. My pipe smoking is very limited, but I probably drink more than I could. I am chasing after a 4 year old and a 2 year old most of the time, so that keeps me active!
Everything in moderation and you'll be fine.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Ok I’ll play along.
At 47, I am not currently on any medication. I have never smoked cigarettes and have never done illegal drugs. I smoked moderately, probably 4-5 bowls a week and have a beer or three on weekends. I walk on the treadmill 2-3 times a week. I do struggle with my weight and would be considered overweight, it’s really the only thing I fight constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.