PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I eat 95% raw food plant based diet, have been doing yoga for almost 30 years, and I rarely ingest pharmaceuticals, but I have a condition that is one day gonna' put me down despite my efforts. So until it does, I enjoy my whiskey and pipe smoking in moderation, and nurture my deep faith.
It's inevitable that we all get put down one way or another. Doesn't much matter to me if it's tomorrow or in 20 years. I just do what I do to make it as comfortable as possible.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I ditched 50 pounds this year. Not to be "healthy" but because I didn't like it. I live how I see fit. I am healthier than many, and less healthy than many. I don't judge my life by those standards, but by how I feel and if I am enjoying myself.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
This quote sums up my feelings on the subject quite nicely.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's important to have good role models.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxCUHjx7U7Y

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The existence of life, including my little spark of it, is a balancing act, and healthful is a matter of balance. I don't consider even my moderate pipe smoking -- a bowl or two a day, with days off -- as healthful in itself, but I hope the relaxation and sociability it engenders are good. I'm a carnivore, but I have a sense of balance in my habits. No athlete, I was a gym rat and later a runner, and then a yoga student, for years, but now a lot of my physical activity is assisting my wife as a caretaker. I say I'm a survivor of three universities and a war, which is so.

I just have the most issue with the word, "lifestyle." It just has a... a connotation to it, like people all researching diets together, or jogging,or shopping at expensive grocery stores for $12 jars of peanut butter, or guys wearing furry lederhosen and pissing in mailboxes. I get it, I get it, whatever way you live is a lifestyle. I just prefer to think of myself as "above" style, just doing what I want, when I want. My lifestyle would be more of a freestyle. :puffy:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Despite the abominable winter weather condition here,starting from my teens I'm still trying to remain in Military'shape, meaning I do long distance running 2-3 times per week,nontheless,I must confess,now being 50 + year old this is getting something boring,and no,I'm not doing no workouts in Gyms,yet I do enjoy good beer&wiskies weekly,responsibly and in moderation of course,when I was in active service(and younger) we did enjoy those adult beverages in somewhat larger quantities than today.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
And what's all this about pissing in mailboxes? Is that really a thing? I don't get out much I guess.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm pretty healthy these days. I walk twice a day for 20 mins a go and do it five days a week. I'm playing ice hockey about 3 times a week. Mostly drinking just water these days. I'm down about 30lbs from this time last year. 5'11" and currently tipping the scales around 195-200lbs (a lot of the weight is in my legs from all the ice hockey skating). For having a mundane office job I think I'm doing really well.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've never seen 120. I could eat deep fried lard while binge watching Netflix and loose weight. :cry: I'll eventually prove spontaneous human combustion can happen.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Mr. Bukowski,
I have found Bacon. I shall let it do it's work...
Sincerely,
Mike.
Seriously. I am pretty fat. But my blood pressure is ok (just) and my cholesterol is fine. I drink very moderately and don't even smoke my pipes as often as I want to. I also agree that genetics is the #1 killer.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There is a school of thought/body of research, which suggests that a person may have a particular genetic issue (toward whatever disease or ailment) but that doesn't mean it's inevitable that it will be triggered.
The idea is that the triggering of these things is determined to a large degree by the combined effect of toxicity and lack of vital nutrients. So minimizing toxicity and maximizing the nutrients may go a long way toward preventing or delaying your personal genetic problems.
We're all exposed to a lot of toxicity, much of which is difficult if not impossible to avoid, but our body is a miraculous machine, and can deal with a lot of toxicity, if you give it the nutrients it requires on a daily basis.
The nutrient aspect is a major problem in the modern diet due to processed foods and nutrient depleted produce...as well as cheap, synthetic supplements. But high quality organic supplements are of great benefit, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.