PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

giselegadot3

Lurker
Mar 20, 2020
I have recently quit smoking cigarettes(again) due to health concerns.

I started smoking pipes and cigars back in 2012 though I never indulged in them more than once or twice a day. In short, I only smoked them as a 'hobby'. However due to traumatic events in my life I picked up smoking cigarettes in 2015. I never smoked more than a pack a day. After my grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer and my father had a heart attack I decided to quit cigarettes altogether as I am clearly under risk.

I am here for a reason. I love pipes, I love pipe tobacco. I love the community. I love the sincerity of the pipe smoker. Even though I wage a personal war against cigarettes, I like to maintain close relations with Lady N. I hate addiction, but when I crave it I want to have it. And the thought of it being off limits, angers me.
Long story short, how much of a risk are we under as pipe smokers? There are so many research papers. Old ones, new ones... All indicating contradictory results. Obviously people who inhale are probably under the same risk as cigarette smokers. And people who smoke pipes more than several times a day are under greater risk. Is there any credible research we can cite when we want to claim that smoking pipes several times a day is not that dangerous?
Thank you all.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
That's a difficult question, unfortunately. Genetics play a dominating role, in my opinion. Frequency also will play a large roll in possible outcomes. All you can do is moderate your consumption, and keep a clean mouth. Regular dentist checkups, etc

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I love the sincerity of the pipe smoker
???

If you wish to smoke, take the risks and enjoy. With a history of heart disease and cancer in your family tree your known risk is higher than mine. I'm adopted with no knowledge of my birth family medical history, I've smoked (cigarettes, pipe, cigars and chewed) for fifty years and just passed a "pre-cancer screenning" with clear and healthy lungs. Of course I just survived a triple bypass and, two days later, flat lining. Simply accept that at some time you will have to pay the piper for something. Seventy two years of living large and I am paying the penalty. It's a part of life. If the risks will preclude your enjoying tobacco, don't smoke, save your moneys. It you don't care about your quality of life as you age, enjoy! And, you might escape any consequences from smoking at all, perhaps you'll be hit by a bus later on today.

I tried to finish with an upbeat observation.puffy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I love the sincerity of the pipe smoker.

stalin pipe 2.jpg

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I smoked cigarettes for way too long, and that combined with genetics, high cholesterol/BP, unhealthy lifestyle choices (too much partying hard and sleeping late), diet, stress, etc. lead to a heart attack at 37 for me. After weighing the options I decided pipe smoking in a ventilated area was as low-risk as most other alternative nicotine delivery systems, and I successfully made the switch from cigs to pipes only. I quit all the hard stuff and sharply curtailed my drinking. Switched from burgers and deep fried garbage to mostly Mediterranean and Asian food, and went about 90% vegetarian (I eat seafood about once a week and chicken or beef maybe once a month). I watch my sodium intake like a hawk since that seems to have the most obvious and immediate impact on the way I feel. It's been a little over a year and I feel so much better and generally healthier! With pipe smoking and the occasional drink I know I'm not living totally risk free, but my risks have been lowered considerably and I can still enjoy life! Imho, high-stress jobs, wood burning fireplaces, and average western diets all cause more damage than the occasional pipe and glass of wine or beer.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Every thing has its risks. Is pipe smoking a lower risk than cigarettes, yes but it's still a risk.

What's even more risky is hoarding Penzance and then selling it at profiteering prices of 3 to 5 times retail. In a recent study it showed that 100% of Penzance profiteers suffered an SRT (severe rectal trauma) within months of their unethical undertaking.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I smoked cigarettes for way too long, and that combined with genetics, high cholesterol/BP, unhealthy lifestyle choices (too much partying hard and sleeping late), diet, stress, etc. lead to a heart attack at 37 for me. After weighing the options I decided pipe smoking in a ventilated area was as low-risk as most other alternative nicotine delivery systems, and I successfully made the switch from cigs to pipes only. I quit all the hard stuff and sharply curtailed my drinking. Switched from burgers and deep fried garbage to mostly Mediterranean and Asian food, and went about 90% vegetarian (I eat seafood about once a week and chicken or beef maybe once a month). I watch my sodium intake like a hawk since that seems to have the most obvious and immediate impact on the way I feel. It's been a little over a year and I feel so much better and generally healthier! With pipe smoking and the occasional drink I know I'm not living totally risk free, but my risks have been lowered considerably and I can still enjoy life! Imho, high-stress jobs, wood burning fireplaces, and average western diets all cause more damage than the occasional pipe and glass of wine or beer.
exactly.. I try to remember exactly how much campfire smoke I breathed in while I was a boy scout...
has to be a lot worse than not inhaling tobacco, right?
I remember reeking like campfire smoke after campouts.. especially summer camp.

Reactions: bullet08 and rushx9

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
It sounds like you already have your conclusion and you’re looking for supporting evidence. This is a recipe for confirmation bias, not for knowledge.

I suggest you take a good long ponder over what you’re willing to live with or, indeed, to die with. Family history of this sort of trouble is a big indicator. Claiming to hate addiction but having a willingness to indulge it anyway also doesn’t bode well for restraint.

Introspection is tricky and often painful. A real deep look in the mirror is often difficult. But it definitely helps to wipe away rationalizations and get to the real core of a matter.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
There was a recent thread on health risks. Check it out and it might give you some more information to make your decision on.

Also, check out this page on risks and ways to mitigate some level of risk.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
exactly.. I try to remember exactly how much campfire smoke I breathed in while I was a boy scout...
has to be a lot worse than not inhaling tobacco, right?
I remember reeking like campfire smoke after campouts.. especially summer camp.

I was ASM for two troops. Primitive fire starting was my specialty. I love the camp fire. Maybe that's why I like English blends.