PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsturg369

Can't Leave
May 9, 2009
Augusta, GA
Have a few days of training at the National Security Complex in Oak Ridge, Tennessee from September 25 to 27.
Anyone in the area?
Any "must visit" shops??
Not sure about the following...
- Means of travel.

- Where we're "supposed" to be staying.

- Per diem issues to be finalized.

- Smoking or non-smoking (if the latter, I'll be spending a LOT of time in my vehicle). About half of my group are cigarette smokers.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Since it's a Gummint facility, I'm betting they aren't smoker-friendly.
If you're flying, you'll come into McGhee Tyson Airport and travel up the Pellissippi Parkway to Oak Ridge. It's a straight shot, very fast, and parts of it are stunningly beautiful. Others, not so much.
If you have a chance, visit Smoky's in West Knoxville. It's just about the only game in town, as far as pipes go. I'm told Leaf & Ale has some tobaccos, but never been there.
Above all, have a good, safe trip, and spend lots of money. :D I work for The Man down here, and your tourism dollars are welcome!

volsmcfalls

Lurker
Feb 14, 2011
I'm in Knoxville and work in Oak Ridge. Welcome to Big Orange Country!
Most of what has been stated by cynyr is correct. You'll most likely fly into McGhee Tyson; there's no other commercial airport around here without going to Chattanooga. It's a straight shot on Pellissippi (also known as I-140), through Solway, and into Oak Ridge.
As for shops, Smoky's is a great one. They have a huge selection of pretty good house blends. It's my go-to shop.
Sadly, Leaf & Ale was sold and has closed shop. I think they are looking for a new location, but it was never as good a shop as Smoky's.
If you have the time I would suggest taking a trip up to Gatlinburg and the mountains, especially if you've never been. There's also a tobacconist in Gatlinburg called the Gatlinburlier. It's where I got my first pipe and they have some really good house blends as well. But, the real reason to go there are the fellas that run it; they're a blast!
As far as Oak Ridge goes, I am not aware of any tobacco shops. There's not a whole lot going on it Oak Ridge commercially; a few restaurants, a mall with more vacancies than occupancies, and that's about it.
If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them for you.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Was there is the late 70's so not much help. It is fun to count the big white canisters on the tractor trailers. I wonder what is in those. :wink:

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
+1 on visiting Smokys! It's my preferred tobacconist in town. They always have a good, well stocked section of tins, and most employees are super nice!
Welcome to east TN in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.