PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Today is the 128th birthday of a man who changed the world for millions.

I can see now that an acquaintance with his works in early childhood has drastically changed my life as well.

And he was also an enabler for many on this forum.

Happy Birthday Mr.Tolkien!

Last edited:

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
I first was introduced to Mr. Tolkien when (about 1979) my high school literature teacher listed The Hobbit as recommended reading. I enjoyed the book back then, but didn't think much more about it until the Lord of the Rings movies appeared. I then read all three LOTR books. Simply masterful.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I came across some comic books, I can't remember if they were The Hobbit or LOTR, when I was 9-10. About the same time, maybe a bit later, I read a five book series by one Lloyd Alexander about a kid named Taran who has to save the world from an evil sorcerer. When I was 12 I read LOTR and was blown away, but at the time I didn't have the opportunity to find more similar stuff. So when the first movie came when I was late teens or maybe 20, it took me right back. That was nice. I saw them again last year and they haven't aged a day.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Loved the books as a kid.. but later always found the near total lack of humor (I am German..so know a thing or two about this) a bit disappointing..

• Haha
Reactions: vates

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Did he lose the accent ferrule for his billiard? ?
Hahaha, I have always wondered this when I see this photograph as well. What the hell is going on with that gap!?!?!? Hahaha.

Aside from that, I have always found Mr. Tolkein's works inspiring. The man invented a whole world (complete with full languages). Certainly an imagination for the ages. And I will admit, the prospect of greeting the sunrise in Hobbiton after a large breakfast with a churchwarden full of Old Toby definitely influenced my decision to pick up the pipe.

Although when I first started reading Tolkein, I was imagining a different sort of leaf, haha.

I will probably be reading the series again shortly, as I was gifted a very classy full set (hobbit included) for Christmas this year.

Reactions: vates

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Hey! I'm a genius among bears! ?

For a moment I wondered if it was some kind of mod to improve the smoke. Who knows? I wasn't around back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.