PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Goofeyfoot

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Title edited for caps. See rule 9 please.

Having some fun getting back into pipe smoking. But I’m having trouble keeping the pipe cool. I’ve tried different tobacco‘s. Navy flake, Borkum Rif, some kind of Ashton in a can, and some blend that came from the pipe shop which I don’t actually know the origin of.

I’ve tried them all wet, medium, and dry and I get the same result. I get the same result with every pipe too. The sequence seems to be that as soon as I actually start getting smoke out of the pipe of any volume, it gets hot. I let it cool down at which point it inevitably goes out. Rinse and repeat.

I don’t mind re-lighting the pipe several times. If that would keep the smoke cool, no problem. But that doesn’t seem to work either.

I know I’m doing something wrong but I don’t know what it is.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: UncleRasta

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Maybe packing too tight, try fairly dry tobacco with a very loosely filled bowl and tamp to adjust after it's lit.

Also, pipes aren't supposed to produce a large volume of smoke, there are several members on here that even claim to produce little to no visible smoke while smoking.?

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I guess you should look for a lot less than that.
A LOT less. Trying to generate cigar level smoke from a pipe is going to burn your mouth up. Also, blowing into the pipe is going to add moisture thereby making it harder to keep lit. Dry your tobacco, pack looser than you think, smoke a lot slower than you think. Your goal should be to just keep the pipe smoldering.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
When I started I also got some tongue bite when lighting. I would say that you should just power through the pain to get it lit, drink some water, and start smoking it normally. After a while, you'll get asbestos tongue and no tongue burn from anything basically.

Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I agree about trying different blends. Blends that are topped with rum or heavily topped aromatics tend to be more bitey. Counter-intuitively, I think pure tobacco blends without toppings might be less irritating.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would start with choosing a tobacco that has a good reputation, the so called premium blends. Borkum Riff definitely isn't one of them.
Did you know Borkum Riff is manufactured by the same company that makes the Peterson and Dunhill blends?

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Did you know Borkum Riff is manufactured by the same company that makes the Peterson and Dunhill blends?
Yeah, big manufacturers produce a lot of stuff and take over many smaller companies that would have been gone without that.
If one loves Borkum Riff that's ok but OTC blends with a lot of PG usually burn hotter no matter how you smoke them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If one loves Borkum Riff that's ok but OTC blends with a lot of PG usually burn hotter no matter how you smoke them.
?‍♂️
Other than needing lighter packing like aromatics I've never seen an issue.

with how much hate they get I am starting to think I'll love them.
You might. Start with the original mixture, it's the mildest.