PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Congratulations my friend! I have a 3 year old son and a 3 month old daughter. Being a parent is just as rewarding as it is challenging. They make life as an adult alot more fun, imo.

Congratulations!!!
I raised two girls by myself, and I have way more stories about that. My step son is the only other male in my living family, but I've only known him since he was 9. The best story I have about him is when he just turned 16, he was driving home from school by himself for the first time, following a bus with some girls setting on the back row. And, he made a sign that said "show me your titties." And, he drove with the sign in his windshield, while girls pressed their exposed breasts to the back of the bus window.

I was the only parent available to go talk to the principal the next day, and when it was just me and the principal in the room, I turned to him and said, "I would have never guessed that, that would work... I mean, it's just that easy?" The principal laughed and responded, "I know, right?"

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Congratulations! I'm an older father, in my early40s. I've a son who will be 3 years old this month and another who is 15 months old. There are some difficult times, like right now the older one is sick with a fever and the younger one has teeth coming in. There are also really great times and to be honest I like the day to day stuff. Like when one or the other falls asleep on top of me after reading a book together. I even like being woken up at 3 am to tuck him in ("Papa! Tucked in!") because he kicked the blanket off in his sleep.
What I had been told was the days are long but the years are short. That does seem to be true. The last 3 years went by remarkably fast.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Old school, be a father, but not a friend, friends he’ll have , but one father. Teach him respect for others regardless of station in life. My oldest son lived next to a disabled vet, my son was an Airborne vet. He would mow his yard when he cut his, the disabled vet had a snafu with his veterans disability check, they were gonna turn his lights out, my son paid his bill and helped him financially till it was straightened out. Never knew about that till his wife let it slip out. I realized I had done my job as a father, made me feel,pretty good.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have 2 boys and 2 girls ages 17-30. They are all great kids, big hearts and respectful of others. My oldest boy and youngest daughter take after their mother(artist), the other 2 take after me. My oldest daughter is in law school and my youngest son is killing it in sales at a major trucking company.

As children the girls were so much easier. They would play nicely by themselves while the boys would be trashing anything they could get their hands on.

One piece of advice I would give to new parents for later is don't be a hypocrite, kids are not stupid.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have 2 boys and 2 girls ages 17-30. They are all great kids, big hearts and respectful of others. My oldest boy and youngest daughter take after their mother(artist), the other 2 take after me. My oldest daughter is in law school and my youngest son is killing it in sales at a major trucking company.

As children the girls were so much easier. They would play nicely by themselves while the boys would be trashing anything they could get their hands on.

One piece of advice I would give to new parents for later is don't be a hypocrite, kids are not stupid.
I totally agree on that last paragraph. Be honest. When he keeps asking the same stupid questions over and over, don't bullshit him. Just tell him to ask something else. And don't throw these little lies like daddy's busy or we're out of candy. Tell the truth: daddy doesn't want to and no, you can't have candy because daddy says so and daddy's the boss here.
Do this, and when he gets older, he'll trust you to have meaningful conversations.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Congratulations!! One piece of advice, they grow up fast so enjoy every minute you can because if you stop to blink you will miss something! Mine are 26, 25, and 20. It seems almost yesterday the oldest was rolling her walker off the edge of the sidewalk to get to daddy while I did a brake job on the truck.

Reactions: Spa32 and danimalia

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
Congratulations! I have 3 boys myself and my oldest has already supplied me with grandsons!
Fasten your seatbelt my friend, life's about to get interesting.....

Reactions: Spa32

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Teach them to be kind and thoughtful, loving and caring. He will earn all the masculine BS as he grows up. This is coming from a Father of 3 young men.
I really like this advice. My most treasured teachings from my elders were all about kindness and tolerance and how to treat people. The testosterone will naturally handle the rest :LOL:

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
All good advice, gents! Looking forward to the adventure. Can't wait until he's a bit older and we can go hiking and all that fun stuff.
I have a boy, 4, and a girl, 2.5. I started walking the trail in the forest out back with my son as soon as he had real shoes on, probably 15 months or so. The three of us will regularly just sit at the edge of a creek and throw stones and poke the water with sticks for an hour.

It’s fun but not relaxing, as they’re years away from a developed frontal lobe. They’re always trying to walk into the river to see if they can catch a duck.

• Haha
Reactions: danimalia and adui

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Congratulations!

I’d start him off with a nice OTC blend until he’s about 3-4 years old, then work him up to ropes and flakes around middle school. Aromatics will probably give him tongue bite and put him off the pipe if you start him there.

Until he’s done teething I’d probably recommend softie bits to avoid teething pain. If he’s a chomper like Didimauw you might need to keep him on Grabows unless you want your Dunhill stems rusticated.

Have you decided which pipe to buy him for his christening???

?

Status
Not open for further replies.