PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Not really but thought it was a fun thread title

Until recently my pipe smoking was sporadic for several years, but since I kicked the cigs it has become more regular but I don’t actually own a purpose built pipe tamper tool and have been tootling along fine using wooden golf tees till now (plastic tees are not suited having too much of a hollow to tamp down properly) and while as a golfer I have a ready supply of tees I feel I should buy a proper tamper tool

I assume Carl Faberge was a bit of a slacker & never applied himself to his work sufficiently to tap into the lucrative Pipe Smokers market so partly for fun and partly for information who’d like to tell me what makes a good tamper tool and give recommendations?

(pics appreciated)

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I use this one most times, but a Chech tool works very well also.

I bought this one from SmokingPipes.com and it has a little pick when you unscrew the top. It also is a little concave in the tamper itself which makes it easier to push unburned tobacco to the centre of the bowl.

Reactions: cortezattic

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
This is what I use and have no need to get anything else unless I lose it or get bored and may carve one for fun. About 8 dollars on Amazon

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've seen this referenced before but I'll be honest I have no idea what this is ?
A czech tool is a multi purpose tobacco user tool. A pipe tamper, cigar poker, and nasal snuff spoon all in one.

31BsR4qIkxL._SX385_.jpg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I like the legend series from 8deco. $15 regular price but I managed to pick up both of mine on sale for about 30% less. They unscrew to reveal a pick, have a scoop on one end and a concave tamper on the other end which really helps direct everything towards the middle of the bowl. Visually pleasing as well:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I came across a small hoard of these and love them. Acrylic amber with brass end. Fits perfectly in the watch pocket of jeans.
9379I like the longer tamper like the one posted and have a few in bamboo with a pick end... but it has sharp edges so don’t miss the exact center of the bowl when you tamp!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and shanez
Status
Not open for further replies.