Haven't Done Much In Over A Year But Decided To Get Back To It A Rusticated Bill

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hi folks, I haven't been around much of late and haven't chucked up a piece of briar in over a year but I decided to get back at it again. After practicing with a lot of maple and cherry wood, I finally committed to a piece of briar. I have also posted on the pipe makers forum for comments/critique.

Stem is vulcanite (I haven't had the courage yet to go back to rod stock but will on the next one.)

Yes there are a few pits but I rusticate because I like rusticated pipes in general, not to hide flaws.
Ct2r5X6.jpg

AZDhvRe.jpg

rsvDb6E.jpg

yMqr6tD.jpg

bI8DKbg.jpg

ZWZfp1F.jpg

TCe5E2n.jpg

uyVIcSI.jpg

fL3EeuH.jpg

SR6R6wt.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well it's about time don't ya think? :mrgreen: Looks like a winner to me Chris! :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's kind of a leopard skin pattern and wears that saddle stem nicely. Billiards just have a certain something.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
shikano, Always liked your pipe work! Keep it up you have a gift Brother...

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Folks, thank you for all the kind comments. Tomorrow I am going to try and change it up based on feed back from the Pipe makers forum. I will post pics when that is complete.

Cheers all

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Always smart to get input from others doing the same work, who can see options and make critical suggestions without being critical. Writers who won't be edited, ever, seldom attain their best possible work. That you feel confident about taking some suggestions means you are confident in your abilities. Which means a lot.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks MSO. I appreciate the wise words.

Here are some pics of my re-do. The finish is natural Danish Oil. I like the look and the tiny bit of stain on the rim. The stamp area looks ragged like a torn piece of paper which is what I intended. Sloppy, sloppy on the stamping. Yes there are flaws, but no bleed through and I drill all my pipes for a comfortable, wide open draw.

Anyway, onward and upward on the learning curve.

Cheers all!

SgQ7MKZ.jpg

7QN5a8h.jpg

yl8oYpK.jpg

mWjaEQC.jpg

MzsYxLu.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had no complaints with the earlier version, but given the choice, I'd pick this one. It's just a more developed texture and look. You earned a lot of knowledge on this project, and now if you want, you can smoke it forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.