PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
Hey members,
I was wondering if anyone here has written and published a book? I have been a chef in both entree and pastry for 10 years and have always thrown around the idea of writing a cook book. Recently with my time off, I have been experimenting with tobacco in food. Using and a flavoring in ice cream and steeping in wine for sauces and braising liquids. I guess another question would be, if I were to in fact write this book of cooking with pipe tobacco would anyone be interested? Happy piping.

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
I've cooked a lot with other smokeable plants, but I've never considered eating tobacco, without having tried it I would guess that it would make me sick. I would certainly be interested in a book like that but I would want the first page to have a bold and believable explanation about how to cook with tobacco without ending up worshiping at the porcelain altar.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Hello eriksmokes85,
If you can make tobacco taste good in food, then you must be one hell of a culinary artist. :)
As a Licensed Healthcare Professional, a 30 year practicing herbal healer and decent cook, I would strongly advise against it. The problem being simply nicotine is a drug and its dosage must be strictly controlled. Snuff and chewing tobacco are absorbed by the membranes in the nose and mouth, respectively, and if you use too much you will know in a matter of seconds. Inhaling cigarettes is a similar matter. Personally, I occasionally inhale pipe tobacco to get the extra nicotine, but it is supposed to be held in the mouth only, or blown out through the nose. Tobacco is not a traditional herb or spice where humans have ingested it for millennia and natural selection has favored those who tolerate it well. Very simply it is a pleasant stimulant in very small doses, but a poison in larger doses. Anyone who has swallowed the juice from chewing tobacco knows it doesn't take very much to make you ill. If you eat any amount of tobacco or its derivatives, the only way to adjust the dose is to pump your stomach or vomit. Not a pleasing restaurant experience to be sure. Once it is in the bloodstream, I personally have no idea what can be done to reverse the potential for cardiac arrest and other effects. You have to ask yourself if the benefits outweigh the risks. In this case, I would recommend trying something along the lines of hardwood smoked/dried fruits, nuts and veggies to get more interesting smokey flavors. I use liquid smoke in many dishes and there are hundreds if not thousands of permutations of recipes to play with. Unless you have the lab equipment to regulate nicotine doses exactly, there is too much potential for error with dire results. Keep in mind the first person to misread or disregard the exact recipe could result in a lawsuit which would decimate any book profits from such a niche market as cooking with tobacco would most likely be. I hate to be the bearer of bad news and don't want to discourage innovation. You would do well to find another less toxic topic for a cookbook.
In answer to your questions... No, I have never published a book. No, I would not be interested in a tobacco cookbook.
Don't give up, and best of luck in all your endeavors. :puffy:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'd be interested! I just recently had a dessert at Uchiko where they infused tobacco into the cream. It was absoslutely delicious! I would love a cookbook on the subject.

In my experience, and having married a fantastic marketing expert, if there isn't a market for it, create one. Blog, collect emails, social media, generate interest in what you are doing, people will become curious.

30 years ago, no one used the term "Art Jewelry." But, when people started generating interest, people started working the jewelry into their own look. Heck, at one time even artisan pipes or custom pipes weren't a big deal not too long ago.
I also grow heirloom veggies, which is another area that the market had to be created. Be a trend setter, and completely avoid what others are doing. Keep your own stride, stay focused, and bang a BIG drum.
Me? Nah, I spend a lot of time keeping tobacco out of my mouth, but I can see where as this could be a thing for non-smokers even.

Status
Not open for further replies.