PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Haven’t sold one but have thought about it, the only thing to me is am i really going to get enough to make it worth while. I have a 1967 Dunhill, my birth year, that i literally hate how it smokes, i paid a pretty penny for it and have an issue taking a big loss on it, then again I’ll probably never smoke another bowl out of it, so there is a conundrum there. Most of my pipes are things like Comoy that i got good deals on on various auction sites and i really don’t think I’d get more than a few bucks each for them. The nice thing about SPC is they will give you numbers and let you decide.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Haven’t sold one but have thought about it, the only thing to me is am i really going to get enough to make it worth while. I have a 1967 Dunhill, my birth year, that i literally hate how it smokes, i paid a pretty penny for it and have an issue taking a big loss on it, then again I’ll probably never smoke another bowl out of it, so there is a conundrum there. Most of my pipes are things like Comoy that i got good deals on on various auction sites and i really don’t think I’d get more than a few bucks each for them. The nice thing about SPC is they will give you numbers and let you decide.
You could probably do better selling it here.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
Not real regret, but probably today I would have kept my Les Wood Spigot which I had scored at eBay for a ridiculous bargain price and sold right away to make a quick buck.

But that's how the spirit of a collector evolves, at the time it felt right because I that considered it insane to own a 300 Euro pipe. This has changed somewhat...

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I've sold a few pipes and don't regret it. I usually used the money to but another pipe. I have two pipes I would never sell even if I quit smoking, a Mr. Brog my grandson gave me and a 150th anniversary numbered pipe I purchased at A La Pipe du Nord in Paris.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Is the pipe something that could be altered to fit your needs ? For example, like opening the airway more or having a new stem made for it? It's a shame that it doesn't smoke right for you, being a birth year and all. Plenty of pipemakers out there capable of altering a pipe to fit one preference

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
From time to time i have felt a twinge of regret about trading a pipe. I have also spent some time reviewing my order history from SP and realizing how few of the pipes purchased over the past several years remain in my collection. This clearly has been an overfall financial loss. However, as a previous poster mentioned I have never regretted gifting a pipe, especially to someone just beginning to learn about pipesmoking. This has actually been a great joy.
At the moment I am struggling with the notion of trading any number of Castello pipes as i rarely smoke them anymore. Once the mainstay and pride of my collection, i now find that the stem work is so clunky as to be uncomfortable. Still, i like the pipes. In the end, however, pipes are simply utilitarian objects as well as material things. With the exception of a few of my pipes which have sentimental value, like the Dunhill Cumberland with silver army mount which my wife gave me for my 60th birthday and several pipes received from my kids, i am not overly attached to any
Pipe. Of course, i promise myself that I ought not buy any pipes now as I certainly have more than I need. In the last few months, however, i have clicked the button on a Gabriele poker, a lovely Vollmer and Nielson lovat, a Radice Spring edition apple and a surprisingly nice (in light of a modest price) Northern Briars cherrywood with an Ashton like swirled orange and green stem. The purchases make a culling of other pipes more likely.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Never regretted selling a pipe. I have regretted the final auction price received on one or two but that is how auctions go sometimes .

Reactions: Meerly John

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
When I first started smoking I didn't know what I liked for shape and style so I bought a lot of different ones and sold a lot, sometimes unsmoked, all without regret. Now that I know what I like I am more careful with purchases (still have PAD but with more discretion :).

The only one I regret is a Mastro Geppetto bent apple that I really loved. It was my first "real pipe" purchase. The only trouble was the button was less than 10mm across which was not comfortable to hold in the mouth. I still wish I had kept it even if I never smoked it. I would buy it back if I ever saw it on ebay...but Life goes on!