Have You Ever Had a Pipe Blend That Made You Feel Slightly Ill?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
Dark Fired Kentucky and 5 Brothers will make me light-headed, but the only blend that made me almost puke was Cult Blood Red Moon. The strong cherry flavor made me gag. Guess I'm not a fan of cherry tobaccos.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
The original Condor made me physically ill. And not slightly. It was a bona fide allergic reaction to the coumarin/tonka bean/whatever. I couldn't smoke anything for days and the toxic taste it provoked in me altered my palate also for a long time. I'll always remember it as ass, poison and regret. Others mileage will vary, buf for me it was a strong allergic aversion.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
M

Merton

In my younger and more vulnerable days....I smoked English blends exclusively. However as an old guy I now find that Latakia makes me feel nauseous and, with the exception of an occasional visit to SPC Plum Pudding reserve in the fall and winter, i tend to avoid such blends. While i now smoke aromatics, including several of Dan tobacco's higher octane blends, i did find that there was something bile rising about Rattrays Exotic Orange. Other folks love it but I just could not take it. I had a similar experience with War Horse Green. One bowl was enough, i just could not try again. I wanted very much to like both...but no sale. Well, actually both sale and then sail into the rubbish. I did also, on a misguided lark, try Captain Black Grape and I report that with appropriate embarrassment.

Reactions: UncleRasta
The strength has never made me sick... in a bad way. If I have gotten nauseous it has been more about the flavors or chemicals added. The fresh Condor, WarHorse, and even fresh GH&co Dark Flake scented have made my head waver. But, I do enjoy these with a little age to take the edge off of the added sprays.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I used to find the infamous Mcclelland's vinegar aroma pretty revolting, but it was still worth smoking their blends. I just had to air them out first somewhere away from me.

I used to find the infamous McClelland's vinegar aroma pretty revolting, but it was still worth smoking their blends. I just had to air them out first somewhere away from me.
I never found the actual McClellands blends to ever smell like vinegar. It was more like ketchup or a barbecue sauce. But, the new Sutliff atrocity of a McClellands look alike was disturbing on many levels for me. It had so much vinegar sprayed on it that it actually made everything it touch smell like catpiss... and what it did to my sinuses was unlike anything I ever tried to smoke. which is a far cry from anything I experienced from McClellands. Those who say these are deadringers, I just attribute to them never having smoked McClellands or just don't have a sense of taste. puf

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
the new Sutliff atrocity of a McClellands look alike was disturbing on many levels for me.

Yes, I've tried it. I recently bought some Sutliff 515 RC-1 based on Sablebrush's recommendation. It's curious to me you find it so revolting though... at least the batch I received was far less vinegar intense than Mclelland was. While no match for Mclelland flavor, I find it smokable and tangy in a good way, but I can understand that it's a big step down for dedicated Mclelland fans.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I have found the dreaded nic-KO has only happened to me a few times, usually with heavy perique blends. I have found that I enjoy English Blends with a little cavendish in them. I can puff away for 90 minutes without an issue. Put a perique/burley blend in front of me, and I faint like a goat!

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Brown bogie put me on the floor the first time I smoked it. Way to much nic for me gave me wicked headspins like really light-headed.

...as for blends that buckle my knees... slightly ill, no. I've learned to roll with the nicotine rush of a heavy hitter... like G&Hco Dark Flake unscented, D&R Picayune, C&D Burley Flake #1, Brown Boggie, all make my eyes droopy, a bite of chocolate, and off to bed I go. It's never been a sick feeling for me, unless I am just low on sugar, and a bite of something sweet takes care of any of that. The last smoke of the day... settle into my smoking chair at the foot of the bed, with a book to chew on for the last hour of the day. Strong, thick smoke, with deep baritone flavors of tobacco, puffing, playing in the smoke, as the stick letters become words, words sentences, sentences become people doing things in other places... the magic of books... My heart slows, but pumps a little harder, then my eyes are heavy, and just three steps to my bed, as I lay down and just roll off to sleep without sleeping pills. I used to be an insomniac, but it has been over seven years without having to take any sleeping aids. The last smoke is the only smoke of the day where I look for nicotine like that. The rest of the day is Virginias and VaPers. But, my last smoke has to be magical. It's my only vice... that I know of. puf

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The floral scents in Sam Gawith's Grousemoor ghosted my pipe, my mouth, my throat, my nasal cavities and my sinuses. It persisted overnight and made me somewhat nauseated.

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Brown (Happy) Bogie's nicotine content kicked my butt pretty good too.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
If I smoke Old Joe Krantz without having had a good meal recently I get sick. Similarly with some strong VaPers. Latakia blends are always very soothing on the stomach.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Recently I tried a new blend, that was gifted to me. I am a nic lightweight. Also, I can only tolerate a very small amount of latakia. The gift did not match either of my criteria. I won't describe the beginning of the bowl, but around the half way point, it improved almost all the way to unpleasant.

Life is easier once you understand what you like and what makes you puke.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
I came back to add, I had a bowl of old dark fired for the first time over the weekend, and again yesterday, and both times I for sure got overdosed on nicotine, light headed, stomach queezy. I enjoyed the flavor, and it was a really good smoke, but its definitely one I'm personally gonna have to take slow and maybe do half bowls until I get more accustomed to it. It's a strong blend, but not the strongest out there, and I'm not light weight when it comes to nicotine and it usually doesnt phase me in the slightest. But it goes to show, sometimes it happens to any of us

Good to know. Looking forward to trying that blend in the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.