Have You Ever Had a Pipe Blend That Made You Feel Slightly Ill?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimwilltravel

Lurker
May 27, 2019
I am new to pipe tobacco. Admittedly, I just enjoy smoking. I don't know the ins and outs, the jargon... nothing. I just enjoy my glass of wine and pipe at the end of the day.
Before I had kids, I smoked only cigarettes. I quit when we decided to start a family. That was over 20 years ago.
Make no mistake, I enjoyed smoking and missed it but did not want to be a smoker while raising children.
So at just over 50, I felt like I was free to smoke again. I had one rule that I didn't used to have though. There couldn't be any leftover waste to hurt the planet. I knew I didn't want to smoke cigarettes, so I picked up a couple of cigars. They were okay but not really what I wanted. So I bought some loose tobacco and papers.
That worked okay for a while but not great. It still wasn't hitting the spot. So I started adding herbs from my garden, mint, cedar, roses, cinnamon, dried blueberries chopped up from the kitchen. Sometimes I would wrap it in bok choy or rose petals as the taste of the papers began to bother me. These homemade 'cigarettes' were hitting much closer to home for me though. I was quite happy for quite a while with that.
Still, I was having to deal with papers that have an off putting side taste when I didn't have any appropriately dried leaves for wrapping. I also didn't like getting any kind of my mix in my mouth, which is inevitable to some degree. Finally I realized a pipe was what I needed. Eureka!
Some time after that I realized, I was working really hard to make something that was probably quite a lot like a pipe tobacco. And so bought a pouch of green SAIL. It was okay. Next I tried a tin of Peterson's Gold Blend. It was REALLY good! It reminded me of my uncle when I was a kid. THAT was what I was looking for!!! I would even go as far as saying it was just about perfect.
So now I'm having fun trying all different kinds. Mr. B's Mark Twain is okay. Peterson's De Luxe Mixture is currently my second favourite (next to Gold).
But recenlty I tried Peterson's Sweet Killarney. I like it okay (probably 3rd favourite) but after about 3 puffs, I do not feel well... like I'm going to maybe... just maybe.... throw up.
It's weird because there was never any forecasting of this effect. The flavour is fine, the smell is nice. I find it very strange. Of course at this point I'll end up either trying to mix it with stuff from my garden to see if that reduces or eliminates that feeling... or end up giving it away. (I know I probably have just deeply offended some connoisseurs here - Sorry!)
Has anyone else ever reacted negatively to a pipe blend?

• Wow
Reactions: UncleRasta

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Welcome to the forums! Your physical displeasure with a blend will not offend anyone. These guys are tougher than your average pipe smoker. I would say it would be nicotine that is bothering you but your experience with cigarettes kinda disputes that.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've had a couple early on, that messed up my stomach (Brown #4 rope, Bullseye Flake). I suspect, now eight years down the road, I'd deal better with some of those blends.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Howdy & welcome! I've had a couple or three over the years; all fortunately were house blends so I just didn't smoke them again. It happens every now & again.
Bill

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard and don't worry about offending anyone here. If a tobacco rubs you the wrong way, that's just the way it is. I've never had any ill effects other than after smoking 3 bowls of Gaslight in a row. Had to take a little nap. Lots of great tobaccos out there to try. You'll nail down a few favorites in short order I would imagine. Good luck!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The only thing that's ever affected my stomach was a high dose of nicotine. Now, tongue bite or mouth irritation comes from certain Burley blends.
Some folks get shredded by Red Virginias.
Body chemistry has a huge hand in tolerance issues.

Jan 8, 2013
would say it would be nicotine that is bothering you but your experience with cigarettes kinda disputes that.
It doesn't dispute it at all. He quit smoking 20 years ago, his tolerance for nicotine has changed.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Regardless, it could be a tobacco ingredient that does it. Or external factors as mentioned above- stomach level; stomach contents; tired; allergic to other things; mood; time of day; etc. Etc. Or maybe just the nic....

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Greetings! I'm pretty sure it was because of high level of nicotine. Not a big deal you will use to it. I would say just jar that tobacco for a while and try it when you will have the mood, and maybe a third or half bowl of it at first.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
You certainly took the long way round, welcome!
My suggestion would be put the blend aside and try it again in 6 months (on a full stomach). Plenty of other blends to try!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
There are many factors that could cause a smoke to go wrong. I have "enjoyed" an upper respiratory problem for about two weeks. I long to taste tobacco, but don't dare yet.
A while ago, I lit up a familiar blend, and then the world started spinning. I have no idea why.
Sometimes your favorite blend tastes different. Sometimes you just have to have a cherry blend.
Life gets easier when you figure out what types of tobacco you like and don't like.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I would first think it's good old vitamin N, I've had a few bowls that I've had to set down because they made me light headed and a little bit queasy. If that's the case put it away and try some lighter blends and work up a bit more tolerance. My next guess would be it may just be a blend that doesnt agree with you, atleast not at the moment. Move onto something else, and in a few months if you like the flavor of the blend then try it again and see how it makes you feel.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nicotine is often the offender, and it can be controlled. When you buy online, you can usually see the strength noted. You can smoke strong blends in small pipes or partial bowls, to try them out, and then smoke them in proportion to your susceptibility. Sip don't puff. Go with smaller bowls. Use a filter pipe. Another source of queasiness is flavoring. Strong cherry and other flavors can trip the gag reflex with some people, while others love them. One member reacted so badly to a particular blend that I had liked, he either did or felt like throwing up. He sent it to me, along with an unopened tin of Frog Morton Cellar and (I almost missed it in the box until he told me to go back and look!) a magnificent Ferndown bent billiard. I'm forever grateful. Anyway, respect strong blends; you can usually enjoy them -- unless you just plain don't like them at all.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Almost all cased tobacco makes me ill, Kim(?). There is the flavoring, the PG, lot's of additives. Could be something in the blend, could be the nicotine.
https://www.wholeleaftobacco.com

https://www.leafonly.com

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, Gawith Brown #4 rope is evil stuff. The first blend recommended to me at Boswells, because I told them I enjoyed Maduro cigars. That stuff will kick the ass of any cigar that I've ever smoked. Of course at the time, I had a giant Boswell pipe that was filled to the brim. I gave the remainder to Lestrout, who was thrilled.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Peterson's Perfect Plug made me ill, just the smell of it in the tin. Also maduro wrapped cigars. I like the taste of both, but something about them turns me green.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hit the wall the first time with cigarettes when I was six and my buddy kept filching cigarette packs from his chain smoking dad. With a pipe, it was one night on the porch after a day with my wife at rehab for hip surgery. I had a big bowl and an hour and a freshly opened tin of Nightcap. Luckily all I had to do was go to bed and give Nightcap a little respect the next go-around.

Status
Not open for further replies.