PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh yes, unearthed pipe blends of yore have often provided smoking adventures for me. Sometimes the Latakia has left the premises. The dissipation of aromatic flavoring has been an incredible improvement. Virginias unfold into glory, and burley proves sturdy. In general, time has been more of a benefit than a diminishment. It is true.

Reactions: ofafeather
Aug 1, 2012
Actually, yes I have. I rented some space from my father-in-law and put my boxes of tobacco it the space given. A year later I ask where they went and am told "no idea, I was cleaning and moved stuff." 5 years after that, I find a box of tobacco that has been sitting in a cool corner in the back of the shop for the entire time. It was mostly McClelland and Sam Gawith. Give me 3 months and I will be digging into that box when I go back to the states for a few years.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Actually, yes I have. I rented some space from my father-in-law and put my boxes of tobacco it the space given. A year later I ask where they went and am told "no idea, I was cleaning and moved stuff." 5 years after that, I find a box of tobacco that has been sitting in a cool corner in the back of the shop for the entire time. It was mostly McClelland and Sam Gawith. Give me 3 months and I will be digging into that box when I go back to the states for a few years.
I have the Cap’s address. I’ll give it to the highest bidder ;)

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Yes, most recently a baggie of Virgina #1 that I tossed into one of my bins back around 2010 after it bit me like a viper. I rediscovered it last year, still moist. It has lost its sting, mostly, but I don't know if it's because it's the leaf or me that has changed. Now I kinda like it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cellaring isn't intentional aging for me. It's putting away tobacco for the time that I can no longer justify the rising cost that is quickly approaching. Any aging for mine is just tobacco that I haven't gotten around to smoking yet.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Did you ever accidentally age tobacco? I mean you put it somewhere and forget it was there, and then find it years later ... ten years later? I have done this, and coincidentally, so has PipesMagazine.com's tobacco reviewer, Kyle Weiss. This is a fun and tasty review. Check it out - C&D Yale Mixture 2010 Review
Yep, Escudo Navy Deluxe. Was amazed how much it improved in age. Especially in light of my initial distaste of the stuff.
It was such a phenomenal change/difference, that since 2011 I’ve kept a rotating stock of it, so when I smoke, It has between 9-10 yrs age in it.
(*I buy between 6-10 tins of the stuff every year. It’s just an amazing change with age)

Reactions: ofafeather

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Yes, most recently a baggie of Virgina #1 that I tossed into one of my bins back around 2010 after it bit me like a viper. I rediscovered it last year, still moist. It has lost its sting, mostly, but I don't know if it's because it's the leaf or me that has changed. Now I kinda like it.
Same story here, although my jar of Va. #1 is still sitting in the dark. Thanks for reminding me; I think I'll crack it open this spring.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I don't keep track of my tobacco. So, good number will be surprise down the line.
I'm the same, making a spreadsheet sounds too much like work. I know the blends I have pounds of but there's always a random tin or two I forgot I purchased. Poking around in the cellar should always have the opportunity for a nice little surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.