PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark66

Lurker
Dec 11, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in, and Shortened, Title (See Rule 9)

Age of it? What it is made of? Is it worth anything? Any help would be awesome
Thanks Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited by a moderator:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome Mark!

That would appear to be a Meerschaum pipe in a case. Meerschaum pipes are generally made from an organic compound mined from the earth that is dried and carved.

Yours seems to be damaged around the rim and looks like there is tape holding the stem on.

I can't give you an idea of value sorry

Reactions: judcole

Mark66

Lurker
Dec 11, 2020
Your mother in law must have been a hell of woman! What tobacco blend(s) did she smoke out of it?
Your mother in law must have been a hell of woman! What tobacco blend(s) did she smoke out of it?
Lol, my wife tends to think it was her great grandparents, that’s all I pretty much know about it, she wants to keep it for sentimental reason, I might try and smoke it though

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Lol, my wife tends to think it was her great grandparents, that’s all I pretty much know about it, she wants to keep it for sentimental reason, I might try and smoke it though
I would, that's what it's there for; unless you can place a manufacturer on it, it's unlikely you'll get much for it after market.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
If the shank isn't cracked, the stem can be replaced and I don't think it would cost more than the pipe is worth. I've seen old meerschaum pipes in antique junk shops selling for $150 or more and some of those were obviously not repairable.

Now, cleaning the outside of the pipe is another question. I've heard that some people do manage to remove surface dirt and grime from meerschaum but I don't know how to do it.

As others have said, there is probably not much resale value in it but then again, value is relative to the person buying the pipe. Some might value it around $25 but others might buy it in the $75 to $100 range. Then there also may be a collector out there buys horse related items and would pay even more.

Personally, I would value it more as a family heirloom/keepsake and just clean it as much as possible, remove the tape and see if the stem is repairable (it may just be a screw in tenon in the stem has broken). I would put it in a display case after smoking it at least once. It could be something to pass down to future generations.

Reactions: FurCoat

Mark66

Lurker
Dec 11, 2020
If the shank isn't cracked, the stem can be replaced and I don't think it would cost more than the pipe is worth. I've seen old meerschaum pipes in antique junk shops selling for $150 or more and some of those were obviously not repairable.

Now, cleaning the outside of the pipe is another question. I've heard that some people do manage to remove surface dirt and grime from meerschaum but I don't know how to do it.

As others have said, there is probably not much resale value in it but then again, value is relative to the person buying the pipe. Some might value it around $25 but others might buy it in the $75 to $100 range. Then there also may be a collector out there buys horse related items and would pay even more.

Personally, I would value it more as a family heirloom/keepsake and just clean it as much as possible, remove the tape and see if the stem is repairable (it may just be a screw in tenon in the stem has broken). I would put it in a display case after smoking it at least once. It could be something to pass down to future generations.
Thank you so much for your info, I think it will stay in the family

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Status
Not open for further replies.