Have all of you (or almost all) started on cheap aros?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Or have any of you started straight on renowned quality blends?
That question appeared on my mind and I found that intriguing.
Because the transition from smoking only cheap aromatics to smoking quality blends is really "mind-blowing".

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I started on Sir Walter Raleigh and Lane Limited 1Q. I still smoke both on a regular basis.

grettman

Lurker
Dec 28, 2018
I started smoking a pipe almost a month and a half ago. I have not tried aromatics and I don't plan ...at least not for a long time. I am really enjoying quality non-aromatic tobacco. I have TAD.... since I started smoking, I have bought about 7 different tins and so far I am loving each of them (some more than others).

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nope, my first bowl was some Amphora something or other which was awful. My whole technique was off and I incinerated my mouth. I got back on the horse with Nightcap and went from there.
I think that most folks started with Carter Hall or Captain Black.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I started with Middleton Cherry Blend, then Kentucky Club, Amphora, Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, and slowly arrived at my tobacco epiphany with IRC's series of British Blends. I really didn't dabble in "boutique" blends until McClelland arrived, and that's when my interests diversified.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I did the same. 20 years ago had a couple of bowls of captain black or something similar. Didn’t find it enjoyable at all.

Immediately went looking for something else and found Nightcap, Early Morning, 965.
Nightcap became my daily brand.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I started with aromatic house blends from my local B&M. I still enjoy aros but have branched out to all kins if blends now. I smoke aros aybe 25% of the time.

Dec 28, 2015
I bought a pouch of Carter Hall and the next day a friend gave me a tin of escudo and a tin of dunhill flake. Don’t think I ever finished that pouch of Carter Hall.

Mar 29, 2016
Yes, cheap aros but I made sure that my son started with more "natural" and better tasting tobacco. It's a shame that tobacconists advise new pipe smokers to start with aros, I guess it makes more sense for their business.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yep, started with a very cheap corn cob and a pouch of Captain Black Gold. It was the most convenient purchase to make at the time and not really even knowing if I'd enjoy pipe smoking or not, seemed like the cheapest investment. Just made sense really. I knew nothing about any of those jars of tobacco, but even if I did, the shop I went to didn't really have anything outside aros since that was their biggest seller.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My first tobacco was a Tinder Box house blend "Sunset" which is probably some Lane Ltd blend.
A unique aromatic blend of the finest red Virginia tobaccos, using the traditional Cavendish process. A light, soft flavor, slow burning with a grand aroma

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I started with an aro from the bulk jars. I think it was 1q. I hated it and tried some more and hated those too. Then I found the English blends and the rest is history.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I started on Dunhill London Mixture. Bought a couple of bulk aros and a Peterson flake a few months later.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I started on Middleton's Cherry Blend and it nearly caused me to give up on the pipe. I still loathe it.
Same as Ray. There were others, Mixture 79 perhaps, until the Dean of Students at my uni turned me on to Burlington Arcade.

Long ago discontinued.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
I started on B&M aros, then quickly transitioned to online ordering which resulted in me leaving aros behind pretty quickly.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
My first was a pouch of SWR regular and a MM cob in the summer of 1996 while on the road for work. I still have that old cob, a rough finish one - kept it for sentimental sake.
When I got home from that particular job, I stopped in to my local tobacconist at the time, which happened to be Milan Brothers. Based on my then budget, they pointed me in the direction of decent but inexpensive briars with quality bulk tobacco (Dunhill 965 and MacBaren VA#1).

Status
Not open for further replies.