PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Hey all,
I know some of you guys discuss food on here sometimes. I was wondering if anyone had a really good recipe for beef liver? I'll be trying it for the first time tonight.
Thanks in advance,

Meph

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Soak the liver in milk for at least 30 minutes. This takes away some of the liver taste and makes it overall more pleasant. Hopefully you've got good liver that has already been deveined etc. and is in thin pieces, about 1 inch thick. After soaking the liver in milk, take it out, put flour on a plate or something like that, coat the liver in flour, then put the liver in egg wash (1-2 eggs beaten depending on how much liver) now dip it in bread crumbs. Have a pan heated on medium, use either oil or butter, fry the liver about 2 minutes each side, you don't want to overcook it or it will be tough. It's beef so it can be a bit pink. Fry up some onions and bacon if you want, definitely onions, make some gravy, enjoy. If you don't have the bread crumbs you can just dip it in flour after the milk and fry. I've enjoyed liver since I was a young boy, this is how my mom made it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It's very easy. You can prep it frozen with a seasoned flour while you saute some onions and if you really want to guarantee success, well, there's the bacon you could get started first before the onions and then use that fat for the onions...don't overcook the liver because it toughens...2 or 3 min. a side on med heat in a fry pan.

(you might re coat the thawed pieces with the flour mixture)

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Here's my recipe for beef liver and it works quite well -
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees
2. Take a haunch of liver and rub it up good with salt and butter
3. Place the liver on a clean 2 x 4 piece of lumber.
4. Place in oven and cook for one hour
5. Remove from oven and let cool for 15-minutes
6. Take the liver off the 2 x 4 and give it to the dogs
7. Eat the 2 x 4
Pipestud

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
so, the wood? Is it a seasonal choice? Cherry in the spring, oak in the fall, spruce in winter, old growth redwood in summer?

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Sweet Soy sauce Liver.

2 garlic(slice),1/2 onion(slice),1/2 tea spoon ginger(dice),sugar(1 spoon),soy sauce(3 spoon),salt(little).

1.Mixed all above well in big bowl.

2.Put sliced liver into the bowl and sit 30 minutes to 1 hour.

3.on the pan fry liver with above sauce from bowl.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
[/quote]so, the wood? Is it a seasonal choice? Cherry in the spring, oak in the fall, spruce in winter, old growth redwood in summer? - newbroom
Well, I've tried a variety of wood. Morta is so old that it tastes a little chewy. Briar is so hard that it is tough on my teeth. Strawberr Wood works best. And, its healthy!
Pipestud

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I haven't had beef liver in years. Chicken livers fried are on our menu from time to time. I dredge them in a mix of 1/2 flour 1/2 cornstarch, salt, pepper and a good amount of paprika. After the livers are done I cook the onion in the same pan. Just don't over cook the onion. We serve them with white rice.

In an iron skillet, cook a pound of bacon and set the bacon aside, but leave the grease. Slice a Vidalia (or sweet) onion and cook in grease till they are caramelized, and remove onions, leaving the grease with onion flavors. Mix some pecan meal (put pecan in coffee grinder till mealed) with corn meal and add a dash of ginger powder, dip thinly sliced liver in egg and coat with the meal, then lay in the skillet and cook till you have a good crust on both sides. Then mix some maple syrup with equal parts butter heated in a small pan. Add onions to the syrup. Remove the liver, plate with crushed bacon and then pour the syrup and onions over the top. I like to also add a spray of fresh orange juice over the top.
This works with beef or venison liver. It goes very well with fried potatoes and cabbage.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've eaten chicken, turkey, calf, and perhaps duck liver. It's good for iron and vitamin B. The best liver I have eaten, so, it's a close call, is rabbit liver.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I like to pan fry mine in a cast iron pan in a little butter over medium heat with a dash of salt and pepper.

The key is not to over cook it or it will be like eating tasteless leather...leave it slightly pink in the centre and it will be tender and delicious. Take the liver out of the pan and quick fry some onions, mushrooms and garlic. DELICIOUS!!

A good sweet chili sauce is also really nice with liver as well. :D

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cosmic, that's the 3rd time, at least, that I've said to myself "I need to have dinner at HIS house"! :worship:

Your method sounds amazing and I will be trying it soon ... thanks!
Soak the liver in milk for at least 30 minutes
My grandmother always started this way as well. She usually soaked the liver overnight, though.
The next day, after the liver was removed, that milk would be poured into a large flat lid, placed upon

the front porch and the barn cats would go absolutely NUTS! :)
She used a giant cast iron skillet and gave each piece of liver a few minutes on each side.

Then, she used that same pan with the drippings to fry up the onions.

Lastly, the liver was placed back in the skillet, covered with the onions and baked for several hours until

it literally fell apart with a fork.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Heat pan until it's hot enough to sear.
Pull the liver out of its package.
At this point, turn the oven off.
Dump the liver into the trashcan.
Go out for a nice burger and fries.

Status
Not open for further replies.