PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
It gets more "muscular" the more it dries. 🤢

I've been pondering blending something with Haunted Bookshop. It's OK and all, but I'd like to add something that would tame down the rough edges. Maybe some unflavored cavendish...
I do not like it. Bring one to not throw tobacco away, I mixed it with (of all things) Barbados Plantation.
I can choke that mix down when it gets back to being chilly.

Pipke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2024
Chardon, Ohio. USA
I do not like it. Bring one to not throw tobacco away, I mixed it with (of all things) Barbados Plantation.
I can choke that mix down when it gets back to being chilly.
I tried, really tried, with HB and Pegasus. I've made peace with them, but I am still thinking about morphing HB with condiments to take those rough edges out of HB's smoke. I don't know what the proportions of the Burleys and Virginias are in these two blends, but I do consider them mostly the same. Same base, but one has Perique and the other, unflavored black Cavendish. I read descriptions like "smooth" and "chocolate notes" and I don't get it. It's like some people love cilantro, and others hate it.

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
My first bowl of HB was two nights ago, and I thought it was... okay. Nothing amazing, but nothing offensive either. And I didn't get a major nic-hit from it. But I will revisit it this weekend and over the next week. I also have a tin of the HB Cake to break out at some point down the road.

One note: inspired by the name of the blend, I went and found that most of the works by Christopher Morley are now in the public domain in the USA (and available through Project Gutenberg, et al.). The Haunted Bookshop is the second of two Morley novels featuring the character Roger Mifflin. I read the first of the series, Parnassus on Wheels, in less than a day as it's rather short, and am midway through THB right now. These are fun books, breezy reads but written by a man who obviously loved reading (and piping) and wanted others to enjoy them as well. Plus, they've given me a few ideas for fun literary blend names other than HB!

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
I've gone from despising it, to tolerating it, to respecting it. It's a strange relationship but l still hate the old wet dirty ashtray taste I am left with after smoking a bowl. Still, I crave it now and then. I have only had the cake version - tins all from the same batch. It's been aged/jarred for several years. Has there been much variation in this blend over the years?

Reactions: Hutch Piper