Haunted Bookshop VS Old Joe Krantz... Again.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Yeah I know Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz have been compared many many times but this one's a little different.
I normally really like hardcore burley blends and was on the search for an everyday burley. Easy to get, less expensive bulks and these two are always talked about and get fairly good reviews.
Anyway, I tried them both on one of my "off" days. One of those days where everything was harsh and bitey so these two didn't really get a fair shake. Into the jar they went... together. Only had a pint jar available so I mixed em up, stuffed it into the jar and put it away for a few weeks.
Out of curiosity, I pulled the jar yesterday and took the mix for a test drive and wow, it's fantastic!
I'm guessing it's been done before but thought I would throw that out there in case anyone is on the fence between the two. Oh and the nic hit is there in spades. Definitely an everyday for now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice discovery. I'd suggest anyone with the ingredients on hand try this in a pottery bowl on a small scale mixing maybe three pipe bowls worth, to try it before over-committing your whole supply. If you like it, bravo!

dadosaurusrex

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2019
Cool idea! I like both blends, so I might mix up a little, something on the scale that mso suggested.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I wouldn’t mix two blends in anything more than a small jar. I enjoy haunted bookshop too much to alter it. Good that you like your mixture though. Maybe I’ll try it in a small quantity

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I adore most of the Runowski burley blends. Especially Morley’s Best. I’ve found I like the original OJK with a little age on it (I recently revisited a three year old jar). I’ve had it ROTT and it’s been too harsh (for me), where as Morley’s, Bookshop, Pegasus, etc. are ready for my palate as soon as they arrive.
That being said, I’m going to mix an ounce of HB and OJK and give it a whirl. Probably tomorrow before I dig into the HH ODFRR. Thanks for the idea. I imagine that’ll be really good.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
try this in a pottery bowl on a small scale
Normally this is exactly what I would do but I was in a rush and only had the one jar. Kinda glad it happened that way as it turned out better than I thought.
dig into the HH ODFRR
Oh geeezzz... Your in for a treat there if you haven't tried it yet. I got advice here to cube cut it. I use kitchen scissors and cut the flakes width wise, against the grain about 1/8" to 1/4" and it turns into these beautiful little cubes. Dry it for a bit and load it up. I bought a pound box of ODF Flake the first day I tried it. 2 pint jars in the cellar and hopefully I can leave it alone long enough to get some age on it. Embers says he cubes his ODF prior to storage and I'm going to try that next time.
OJK with a little age on it
I did let this sit for a few weeks and I think it helped some. I too find these stronger burleys really harsh without some age. I'm going to buy 1/2 pound of each, mix the two together and put it in the deep cellar. Get a year or three on it and try it again.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I adore HH ODF. It’s a trusted friend who always keeps me company and doesn’t run the wife off when she sits out and reads while I smoke :) I’ve always bought the ready-rub, but that’s a nifty idea to cube the flake version up. I’m imagining it turning out like P. Stokkebye’s PS41 Cube Cut?
I’m getting a cheap little press together to hasten the marrying of existing ribbon blends, etc. It’ll work a treat I’d bet on the HB + OJK. I’m using the 3” id PVC pipe, two hockey pucks, wax paper and large C clamp method. I stole the idea from some guy on YouTube. I’ve got two blends that I’ve worked out through A LOT of trial and error (well, actually I’m just about done with the second. It’s undergoing bourbon casing trial & error). Can’t wait to see how the cheap little press works out.
[Disclaimer: I do not ‘manufacture’ tobacco blends for sale. They are for my personal use alone.]

Status
Not open for further replies.