Hate cigarette taste

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

If you’re smoking Virginia’s and they taste like cigarettes, slow down. Focus on cadence. Huffing and puffing on Virginia’s make them very cigarette like.
I agree... but, maybe work on your skills with a latakia, and then come back to them. Virginias and VaPers have such delicate flavors that usually when someone jumps right into them they end up with burns or just complain that they can't taste those subtle hay, grassy notes that everyone talks about. Pipes take some skill, and it's absolutely normal not to be able to taste anything till you get that sloooooooow smoking skill down, and develop your senses of taste and smell. It took me a few months to get to where I could taste things in the smoke, and even longer to pick up on those subtle nuances of flavor in Virginias.

Find one you like, and enjoy!!!

I can also get Early Morning Pipe from Peterson, is that good?
That is a much beloved blend, but I tried it and Presbyterian early on in my smoking, and found them very difficult, because there are so many component leaf in those blends. It's very hard to discern one flavor from another. I later came to love these, but early on, it might be better to keep the components in the blends you select to a minimal. It will help you develop a sense of taste for what you like and why you dislike the ones you may dislike.

Ray in Bangkok

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2020
Bangkok, Thailand
That is a much beloved blend, but I tried it and Presbyterian early on in my smoking, and found them very difficult, because there are so many component leaf in those blends. It's very hard to discern one flavor from another. I later came to love these, but early on, it might be better to keep the components in the blends you select to a minimal. It will help you develop a sense of taste for what you like and why you dislike the ones you may dislike.
Thx much!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you smoke any blend too fast, it can start tasting ashy and like a cigarette. I prefer Virginia blends and find no resemblance to cigarettes. Try some different genres to narrow it down a bit then start smoking in that genre to find your favorites. Don't be surprised if your tastes evolve over time. Most people new to pipe start with aromatics and/or English blends. Some may advance to the highest level of pipe smoking, that being Virginia Flake. Many don't but still manage to enjoy themselves.