PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ray in Bangkok

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2020
Bangkok, Thailand
I am a new pipes, and I really don't like the taste of cigarettes at all. Do you have some suggestions on what blends to try for a beginner who is trying to stay away from the cigarette tobacco taste? Thx!

Hmmm... you hate the taste of tobacco... Cigarettes mostly have a paperish and thin taste, but they are mostly Virginias. I rarely find that Virginias in a pipe taste like cigarettes, but you might want to avoid them, if your dislikes are in that direction.

I would suggest maybe an aromatic or something with latakia. Then maybe come back to some of the other non-aromatics.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Since Canadian cigarettes are all virginia, I got a cigarette taste from straight Virginias at the start. Go burley and English for a completely different taste.

But after a year I learned to slow down and the Englishes had beaten my palate into shape, and I was ready to try subtler tastes. Surprisingly going back to Virginias I was able to taste the subtler flavours and the cigarette tinge was no longer there.

Good luck and have fun!

There are literally hundreds and hundreds of different ratios of latakia, some with so many different things blended that they become a mixmash of flavors. Some too harsh on the latakia and some that smell like burning tires.

I think the best of both worlds type of blend would be the one attributed to our very own Jiminks, the taster extradinaire.
1605535236112.png
This one has some cocoa and nutty notes, and the latakia is very beginner friendly. But, yet it has a flavor that still keeps the very experienced interested in it for years and years. Plus, it's very affordable.
I recommended drying it quite a bit.

It will whet your tastebuds for latakia and then from here there are a thousand directions you can go. More latakia, more varieties, etc...

Ray in Bangkok

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2020
Bangkok, Thailand
Hmmm... you hate the taste of tobacco... Cigarettes mostly have a paperish and thin taste, but they are mostly Virginias. I rarely find that Virginias in a pipe taste like cigarettes, but you might want to avoid them, if your dislikes are in that direction.

I would suggest maybe an aromatic or something with latakia. Then maybe come back to some of the other non-aromatics.
I love the taste of tobacco as long as it doesn't remind me of my chain smoking cigarette friends, it's like the difference of a freeze-dried instant coffee verses a great cup of cappuccino!

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
There are literally hundreds and hundreds of different ratios of latakia, some with so many different things blended that they become a mixmash of flavors. Some too harsh on the latakia and some that smell like burning tires.

I think the best of both worlds type of blend would be the one attributed to our very own Jiminks, the taster extradinaire.
View attachment 51553
This one has some cocoa and nutty notes, and the latakia is very beginner friendly. But, yet it has a flavor that still keeps the very experienced interested in it for years and years. Plus, it's very affordable.
I recommended drying it quite a bit.

It will whet your tastebuds for latakia and then from here there are a thousand directions you can go. More latakia, more varieties, etc...

Cosmic, would something like Samuel Gawith Skiff or squadron leader mask the cigarette taste or is that a little strong in the other direction?
I don't find them cigg tasting at all.

Reactions: BROBS

Ray in Bangkok

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2020
Bangkok, Thailand
Lane Limited HGL is an aromatic with a slight addition of Latakia. I believe it's a good entry level blend for those who want to try both aromatics and Latakia. If you like RLP-6 you'll love HGL It's actually RLP-6 with the addition of Latakia.
I wish I could try this blend, the problem is living in Bangkok the selection is so very small. I think I can count the pipe smokers here on one hand. Actually I did alot of research and there is only three places in the whole city where I can buy good pipe tobacco. :(

Reactions: wyfbane and BROBS

Ray in Bangkok

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2020
Bangkok, Thailand
Cosmic, would something like Samuel Gawith Skiff or squadron leader mask the cigarette taste or is that a little strong in the other direction?
Here is what is available for me here in Bangkok:
In stock 1800THB/tin Drucquer & Sons Ltd. Levant mixture Mac Baren Original Choice 3.5oz Mac Baren Plumcake 3.5oz Peterson Founder's choice 900THB/tin Ashton Artisan's blend Ashton Guilty Pleasure Ashton Rainy Day Ashton Winding Road Bengal slices white Davidoff Blue Mixture 50g Erinmore Flake Lane Limited LL-7 2oz Lane Limited RLP-6 2oz Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired Mac Baren Vanilla flake Nording Seaweed Peterson Balkan Delight Peterson Hyde Park Peterson Irish Oak Peterson Irish whiskey Peterson Luxury Blend Peterson Old Dublin Peterson perfect plug 3P Peterson Sunset Breeze Peterson Sweet Killarney Peter Stokkebye PS400 Luxury Navy Flake 2oz Peter Stokkebye PS402 Luxury Twist Flake 2oz Rattray Royal Albert Stanwell Melange 50g Two Friends English Chocolate 2oz War Horse Bar 800THB/tin C&D Autumn Evening 2oz C&D Blue Ridge 2oz C&D Billy Budd 2oz C&D Corn Cob Pipe 2oz C&D Good Morning 2oz C&D Green River Vanilla 2oz C&D King Cake 2oz C&D Opening Night 2oz C&D Sugarplum 2oz G.L.pease Gaslight 2oz G.L.pease Quiet Night G.L.pease Spark Plug G.L.pease Triple Play G.L.pease Westminster 550/tin Sutliff Alexander Bridge Sutliff Barbados Plantation Sutliff Balkan Sobranie 759 match Sutliff Molto Dolce

Reactions: chopper
I don't either... actually, I haven't found any blends that taste like a cigarette to me. I am just trying to help based on what I think one might mean by this. Skiff and SL are two that I just love, but was thinking that maybe a Balkan style might have too many different components for someone just getting started. But, these are definitely adored blends.

I was trying to think of a plain Virginia and latakia blend, but all of mine are McClellands and Savinellis which are no longer produced. Maybe a touch of cavendish to soften the flavors.

I'm sure someone who is more attuned to the current latakias available can better help.

Ray in Bangkok

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2020
Bangkok, Thailand
I don't either... actually, I haven't found any blends that taste like a cigarette to me. I am just trying to help based on what I think one might mean by this. Skiff and SL are two that I just love, but was thinking that maybe a Balkan style might have too many different components for someone just getting started. But, these are definitely adored blends.

I was trying to think of a plain Virginia and latakia blend, but all of mine are McClellands and Savinellis which are no longer produced. Maybe a touch of cavendish to soften the flavors.

I'm sure someone who is more attuned to the current latakias available can better help.
Thx so much for the reply!

Ray in Bangkok

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2020
Bangkok, Thailand
In stock 1800THB/tin Drucquer & Sons Ltd. Levant mixture Mac Baren Original Choice 3.5oz Mac Baren Plumcake 3.5oz Peterson Founder's choice 900THB/tin Ashton Artisan's blend Ashton Guilty Pleasure Ashton Rainy Day Ashton Winding Road Bengal slices white Davidoff Blue Mixture 50g Erinmore Flake Lane Limited LL-7 2oz Lane Limited RLP-6 2oz Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired Mac Baren Vanilla flake Nording Seaweed Peterson Balkan Delight Peterson Hyde Park Peterson Irish Oak Peterson Irish whiskey Peterson Luxury Blend Peterson Old Dublin Peterson perfect plug 3P Peterson Sunset Breeze Peterson Sweet Killarney Peter Stokkebye PS400 Luxury Navy Flake 2oz Peter Stokkebye PS402 Luxury Twist Flake 2oz Rattray Royal Albert Stanwell Melange 50g Two Friends English Chocolate 2oz War Horse Bar 800THB/tin C&D Autumn Evening 2oz C&D Blue Ridge 2oz C&D Billy Budd 2oz C&D Corn Cob Pipe 2oz C&D Good Morning 2oz C&D Green River Vanilla 2oz C&D King Cake 2oz C&D Opening Night 2oz C&D Sugarplum 2oz G.L.pease Gaslight 2oz G.L.pease Quiet Night G.L.pease Spark Plug G.L.pease Triple Play G.L.pease Westminster 550/tin Sutliff Alexander Bridge Sutliff Barbados Plantation Sutliff Balkan Sobranie 759 match Sutliff Molto Dolce
By the way just to let you know the baht to US dollar is like 30 to 1 so each tin is costing me like $30 bucks! Worth it to me if I find the sweet spot and stick to the ones I love.

Reactions: wyfbane and BROBS

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
Can you buy any of them lose or are they all sold to you in a tin? There's not that many really, you could buy them all over time. There's a lot of tried and tested blends there thou

Ray in Bangkok

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2020
Bangkok, Thailand
By the way just to let you know the baht to US dollar is like 30 to 1 so each tin is costing me like $30 bucks! Worth it to me if I find the sweet spot and stick to the ones I love.
Can you buy any of them lose or are they all sold to you in a tin? There's not that many really, you could buy them all over time. There's a lot of tried and tested blends there thou
Thx..just lookin for a few to try to start. I will go through some of the list when I get some good referrals for a new pipe smoker.

Attachments

• 1605432116551.jpg
    1605432116551.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 10
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
From the list you posted I would suggest Westminster or Quiet Nights. GL Pease does Latakia mixtures exceptionally well and those two are some of his best offerings.
I’d second this and add Spark Plug to the list. It has a nice tangy-sweet dynamic but still has that smoke and butter that you get out of a good Balkan.